• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modular design - a new BECMI?

paladinm

First Post
All the chatter about 5e has pointed to a "modular design." I wonder if that concept lends itself to an approach somewhat similar to how BD&D worked with BECMI (or at least BECM).

I propose the following approach:

1. The Basic set - exactly what it says; lays out the basic workings of D&D, basic classes (Cleric, Fighter, Mage and Thief), races, attributes, AC, etc. Likely plays very similarly to BD&D or 1e

2. The Advanced set - expands class choices (Paladin, Ranger, Druid, Monk, whatever), races, multiclassing, weapons choices, perhaps introduces (some) skills, talents and feats

3. The Expert set - more class choices, feats, races, introductory "powers" and "themes", psionics, talent trees, perhaps "prestige" classes

4. The Master set - still more classes, powers, epic level play?

All volumes above the Basic would be completely optional. I'd also like to see supplements in the mold of the BD&D Gazetteers.

And (drum roll please).. I would make each set a boxed set so as not to break anyone's bank. There could be another "final" volume as a sort of Rules Cyclopedia.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? What would you include at each such level?

kitsune9

Adventurer
I propose the following approach:

1. The Basic set - exactly what it says; lays out the basic workings of D&D, basic classes (Cleric, Fighter, Mage and Thief), races, attributes, AC, etc. Likely plays very similarly to BD&D or 1e

2. The Advanced set - expands class choices (Paladin, Ranger, Druid, Monk, whatever), races, multiclassing, weapons choices, perhaps introduces (some) skills, talents and feats

3. The Expert set - more class choices, feats, races, introductory "powers" and "themes", psionics, talent trees, perhaps "prestige" classes

4. The Master set - still more classes, powers, epic level play?

I like your approach.

paladinm

First Post
I fondly remember the Mentzer years, and awaiting the arrival of each new boxed set. I was already familiar with AD&D, so I kind of knew what the "advanced" levels would look like; but it was still cool seeing the different implementation.

I'd love to see a similar approach with 5e, and having Gazeteer-type books to handle the various "options" would keep the "core" fairly uncluttered. The BD&D Dwarf Cleric, Halfling Master, Elven Treekeeper, Forester, and Glantri Mage were all great fun, and all totally inappropriate for the "core". BD&D was a great example of how to do a truly extensible game.

BobTheNob

First Post
Its clean and harks back to yonder days.

Did you envisage it having it cover range levels (I think basic was 1-3 and expert 4-6) as well?

paladinm

First Post
I could see Basic covering 1-5 of the 4 core classes, along with all the basics of the game. Advanced would have 6-10 (or so) of the core and 1-10 of whatever "new" classes there are. Expert could have 11-20 of the all previous classes and 1-20 of new ones (the # of new classes would decrease in each set). Master would feature epic level (21+) play.

WheresMyD20

First Post
I say boo to your leaving off the "I" in your description. :p

The Immortal rules are unwieldy to say the least. I'd be surprised if even 1% of BECMI gamers ever used them. There's a good reason why they were left out of the Rules Cyclopedia and re-written for the Wrath of the Immortals supplement - which was still unwieldy, just less so.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads