• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Module Conversion: Seeds of Sehan (Comments, feedback, and help appreciated)

spinmd

Fishy DM
Let’s get this out of the way first. If the names Myrk, Traan, or the Preacher Man mean anything to you, stop reading this thread now. :)

So, I am working on converting the Seeds of Sehan mini-campaign arc from Dungeon #145 – 147 for my 4e campaign. This thread will chart that progress and help improve the conversion by being able to solicit and utilize feedback from the ENWorld community. All comments on my conversion are appreciated, so please tell me what you think or provide some cool suggestions to make this a great conversion.

Some background for the conversion:
- This mini-campaign arc will take the PCs from the beginning of 6th to the end of 8th level.
- The number of players fluctuates from four to seven so I need encounters that I can adjust fairly easily depending on the numbers of players at the table.
- I am using the monster template posted by Bill Browne / Khuxan, so thanks for positing this template.
- I use house-ruled DCs as part of my traps / hazards so they may not match what you expect based on the traps / hazards level.
(Additional background will be added as it becomes relevant).

Last edited:

spinmd

Fishy DM
On to the first module, “Vile Addiction”.

Initial thoughts:
In the original module, the main bad guys were spriggan. I don’t think the MM2 redcaps … err, spriggan fit for the theme I am trying to create, so I have settled on using mostly duergar. For the two “named” opponents, I am using a level 8 duergar shocktrooper with the vampire thrall template from open grave for Bilgor, and a level 11 spriggan warrior (from Critter Cache: Fey Folk) with the vampire lord template for Rakeri. Basically, the premise is Rakeri leaves the Feywild for the material world, thralls Bilgor who is the leader of a small clan of duergars, and they set up shop in Exag. The rest of the original adventure background can remain pretty much as is.

As a reference, my conversion planner has been attached as an excel file.

Outstanding items:
Convert Green Welcome (a drug derived from Sehan)
Finalize two new monsters Child of Sehan and Apotheosis Apparatus
Finalize two new hazards Yellow Mold and Unstable Machinery
Convert Yakfolk and Pan’phar Thrissek

Attachments

• Vile Addiction Planning.xls
    30 KB · Views: 130

spinmd

Fishy DM
New Monster: Child of Sehan

Child of Sehan Level 9 Elite Brute
Medium natural animate (plant) XP 800
---
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +7; darkvision
HP 236; Bloodied 118
AC 23; Fortitude 24, Reflex 19, Will 21
Immune acid
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
---
M Poison Claw (standard; at-will) ✦ Poison, Polymorph
+12 vs. AC; 2d8 + 5 damage and the child of sehan makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +10 vs. Fortitude; the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). First Failed Save: The ongoing poison damage increases to 10 and the target is dazed (save ends both). Second Failed Save: The target transforms into a child of sehan (no save).

m Double Attack (standard; at-will) ✦ Poison, Polymorph
The child of sehan makes two poison claw attacks.

m Rending Claws (standard, recharge 56) ✦ Poison, Polymorph
+12 vs. AC; 4d8 + 5 damage, ongoing 5 damage (save ends), and the child of sehan makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +10 vs. Fortitude; the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). First Failed Save: The ongoing poison damage increases to 10 and the target is dazed (save ends both). Second Failed Save: The target transforms into a child of sehan (no save).

c Pacifying Gaze (minor 1/round, recharge 456) ✦ Gaze
Close blast 3; blind creatures are immune; +8 vs. Will; the target cannot use attack powers (save ends). If the child of sehan makes an attack that includes the target while they are being affected by this condition, the target gets an immediate save with a +2 bonus.

Intuitive Defense (immediate interrupt, when the child of sehan would be hit by an attack; recharge 456)
The child of sehan gains a +3 bonus to all defenses until the end of its next turn.

Hive Mind (free, when within 10 squares of another child of sehan; encounter)
The child of sehan can reroll an attack roll, skill check, or saving throw. It must use the second result, even if it’s lower.

---
Alignment Chaotic Evil Languages Common (cannot speak)
Str 20 (+9) Dex 12 (+5) Wis 16 (+7)
Con 18 (+8) Int 6 (+2) Cha 8 (+3)

Overall, I think this is pretty close.

Is the Pacifying Gaze too powerful? What are your thoughts?

In the first module, the PCs can encounter a single child of sehan to help the PCs understand the effects of Green Welcome. For my conversion, I will have the PCs encounter the lone child of sehan, but combine it with a variation of the “working the crowd” skill challenge from Dragon #368. Essentially, the Exag citizens don’t like outsiders, so when the PCs attack the former Exag citizen (who is now a horrible plant monster), if the PCs don’t try to pacify / appease the crowd, the crowd will get increasingly hostile and will begin to impact the encounter.

Last edited:

spinmd

Fishy DM
New Monster: Apotheosis Apparatus

Apotheosis Apparatus Level 5 Solo Controller
Large natural animate (construct) XP 1,000
---
Initiative +3 Senses Perception +8; darkvision
Poison Foam Vapor (Poison); aura 2; while the apotheosis apparatus is bloodied, each creature that enters the aura or starts its turn there takes 5 poison damage.
HP 248; Bloodied 124
AC 23; Fortitude 22, Reflex 18, Will 18
Immune charm, disease, fear, poison, sleep; Resist 5 fire
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6
Action Points 2
---
M Pincher Smash (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +10 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage and the target is pushed 2 squares.

m Select the Test Subject (minor; at-will)
Reach 2; +10 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage and the target is grabbed (escape ends). The apotheosis apparatus can grab up to three targets.

m Encapsulate the Test Subject (standard, usable only when not bloodied; at-will) ✦ Poison
Reach 2; targets a medium or small creature grabbed by the apotheosis apparatus, +9 vs. Fortitude; the target is encapsulated within the apotheosis apparatus and is no longer grabbed. While encapsulated, the target is restrained and takes 10 poison damage at the start of the apotheosis apparatus’ turn. The encapsulated creature has line of effect only to the apotheosis apparatus, and only the apotheosis apparatus has line of effect to the target. Encapsulation does not affect line of sight. The encapsulated creature can make only melee or close attacks. The encapsulated creature can escape as part of a move action by succeeding on a DC 25 Athletics check to pry the metal iris open, or by dealing 20 points of damage to the apotheosis apparatus with an attack. Upon escaping, the creature appears prone in a random square adjacent to the apotheosis apparatus and is no longer encapsulated.

m Test the Chemical (minor, usable only when not bloodied; at-will) ✦ Poison
Targets an encapsulated creature that is not currently taking ongoing poison damage, +9 vs. Fortitude; the target takes ongoing 10 poison damage (save ends).

m Remove the Test Subject (immediate reaction, when an encapsulated target taking ongoing poison damage saves against the effect; at-will)
The target is no longer encapsulated, appears prone in a random square adjacent to the apotheosis apparatus, and the apotheosis apparatus makes a pincher smash attack against the target.

m Programming Malfunction (standard, usable only when bloodied; recharge 56)
The apotheosis apparatus shifts 6 squares and makes 3 pincher smash attacks at any point during its move. The apotheosis apparatus cannot attack a target more than once when using programming malfunction.

c Spinning Pincher Smash (standard, usable only when the apotheosis apparatus is not grabbing a target; recharge 56)
Close burst 2; +8 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage and the target is pushed 2 squares.

c Poison Foam Explosion (free, when first bloodied and again when the apotheosis apparatus is reduced to 0 hit points) ✦ Poison
Close burst 2; +7 vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + 2 poison damage and the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). Effect: A creature that is currently encapsulated appears prone in a random square adjacent to the apotheosis apparatus and is no longer encapsulated.
---
Alignment Unaligned Languages Common
Skills Nature +8
Str 18 (+6) Dex 13 (+3) Wis 12 (+3)
Con 14 (+4) Int 10 (+2) Cha 9 (+1)

On paper, I think it will be an exciting solo fight but I would like to hear what you think. In the original module some gnomes built this to test their alchemically reproduced Sehan. When the PCs arrive the apparatus animates and tests the chemical on them. I kept that theme in my conversion (though I reskinned the gnomes to dwarves) while the apparatus is not bloodied. Once it becomes bloodied, the apparatus goes “berserk”, stops the chemical testing, and just starts smashing people around. I gave it a lot of push powers because I added my unstable machinery hazard to the encounter (which replaces the potential for a flood in the original module), so the push powers should help trigger the hazard.

New Hazard: Unstable Machinery

Unstable Machinery Level 6 Elite Blaster
Hazard XP 500

The alchemical machinery is damaged and begins to smoke and shoot sparks and flames.
---
Hazard: The unstable machinery attacks each round on its initiative after it is triggered.
---
Perception
✦ No check is necessary to notice the machinery.
Special: A character with the Alchemist feat automatically discovers the trigger for the hazard.
---
Initiative +7
Trigger
The hazard activates and rolls initiative when a creature is moved into the machinery through forced movement or an effect includes the machinery in its target area.
Special: Once triggered, all squares adjacent to the unstable machinery are difficult terrain for the rest of the encounter.
---
Attack
Standard Action
Special: The unstable machinery randomly makes two attacks from the list below. If there are no acceptable targets for an attack, the attack is lost.
1 – Fiery Explosion Close burst 3
Targets: All creatures in burst
Attack: +9 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + 2 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)
2 – Smoke Cloud Close burst 3
Attack: +9 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + 4 damage and the target is blinded (save ends)
3 – Spark Shower Close burst 3
Attack: +9 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + 4 lightning damage
4 – Poison Spray Close burst 3
Attack: +9 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + 4 poison damage
5 – Flying Glass Close burst 5
Targets: One random creature in range
Attack: +11 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + 4 damage and the target is slowed (save ends)
6 – Entangling Machinery Melee 4
Targets: One random creature in range
Attack: +13 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 4 damage and the target is pulled 3 squares and immobilized (save ends)
---
Countermeasures
✦ A character can attack the machinery (AC 19, Fortitude 19, Reflex 12, Will 16; hp 112). Destroying the machinery stops its attacks.
✦ A character can engage in a combat skill challenge to deactivate the machinery. DC 21 Thievery. Requires 3 successes in 5 attempts. Success disables the machinery. Failure causes the machinery to immediately make one attack from the list above as a free action and the unstable machinery remains active.

I run skill challenges a little different than the book so you can ignore the 3 sucesses in 5 attempts point above. Given the map design and the size of the machinery, roughly 1/3 of the map can be affected by the machinery so it should come into play.

Last edited:

spinmd

Fishy DM
New Hazard: Yellow Mold

Yellow Mold Level 7 Obstacle
Hazard XP 300

Usually found in damp, natural caverns, these furry carpets of yellow-brown mold release a cloud of poisonous spores when disturbed.
---
Hazard: Yellow mold fills a square (the square is difficult terrain). When triggered, it releases a cloud of spores.
---
Perception
✦ No check is necessary to notice the mold.
Additional Skill: Dungeoneering
✦ DC 21: The character identifies the mold as yellow mold.
---
Trigger
When a creature enters a square of yellow mold, or kicks or pokes at it from an adjacent square, or attacks it in any way, the mold releases a cloud of poisonous spores. All creatures in the initial burst or that begins its turn in a yellow mold cloud is attacked by the poison.
---
Attack
Standard Action Close burst 1
Attack: +10 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + 2 poison damage and ongoing 5 poison damage and weakened (save ends both).
Effect: The cloud provides concealment for creatures inside it. The cloud persists until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. Once a patch of yellow mold creates a cloud, it can’t create another one for 24 hours.
---
Countermeasures
✦ A character can move into a square or retrieve an object from a square of yellow mold without triggering the cloud by making a DC 26 Dungeoneering check. The character’s move must end in the yellow mold’s square.
✦ The yellow mold is destroyed if the square it occupies takes 45 or more points of fire damage.
✦ The yellow mold goes dormant while exposed to direct sunlight.

Pretty much reskinned Doomspores with a few minor modifications.

Last edited:

Neubert

First Post
I think Pacifying Gaze looks quite powerful, as you mention. An interesting idea might be to limit it so it will only affect one target, but you roll attacks for enemies in the blast until it hits someone.
Example:
3 enemies are caught in it and an attack are rolled against one of the enemies, but it misses. Next attack against the second enemy, and that hits. There are no roll against the third as the second enemy was hit.

I'm not sure how your players are, but you may want to have a certain order to roll attacks in (closest first for instance).

Also, the "Cannot take standard actions" are a little unclear. Could you convert the standard action to a move and then have 2 move + a minor? I am guessing not, which means it is basically a nastier version of daze.
Maybe word it like this: "target loses its standard action on its turn (save ends)".

I think you should be a little careful with the power - the good thing is that it doesn't do any damage, but it also works a little weird in that fighters wont be able to mark, but paladins will (unless that is intentional from your side).

spinmd

Fishy DM
Also, the "Cannot take standard actions" are a little unclear. Could you convert the standard action to a move and then have 2 move + a minor? I am guessing not, which means it is basically a nastier version of daze.
Maybe word it like this: "target loses its standard action on its turn (save ends)".

Yeah, it is meant to reduce the actions to one move and a minor action. The original module gave the child of sehan a gaze that acted as a calm emotions spell so no violent actions unless they were attacked. Maybe I will reduce the # of characters affected (I will think about your good suggestion), change it to no attack powers can be used (save ends), and if the child of sehan attacks it, the target gets an immediate save with a +2 bonus.

spinmd

Fishy DM
I have made some changes to the child of sehan monster above. I modified the Pacifying Gaze power (reduced the blast radius, added a recharge mechanic, and did a better explanation of the effect) and added in its hive mind ability.

The pacifying gaze might still be on the powerful side but I think it is ok, would like opinions on this.

Also, any comments on any of the monsters or hazards are appreciated.

spinmd

Fishy DM
This is my attempt at the Green Welcome drug. I used Dracosuave's idea as a consumable and a disease track for the addiction so thanks for the inspiration. Also, I use Obsidian DCs (thanks Stalker0) for my disease checks so they may not line up with what you expect.

Green Welcome Level 5
This green mucus-like liquid imparts great strength and fearlessness to the befuddled subject.
Lvl 5 50 gp
Alchemical Item
---
Power (Consumable): Minor Action. Upon consuming this drug, you become dazed, gain a +2 drug bonus to athletics checks and strength ability checks (but not strength attacks), and a +5 drug bonus to saving throws against fear. These effects last until the end of the encounter. Once the effects wear off, you are subjected to a +8 vs. Fortitude attack. On a hit, you become addicted to green welcome, or the addiction worsens if you are already addicted to green welcome.
Special: If you consume a second dose of green welcome before you take an extended rest, you overdose and fall unconscious for one hour. If you overdose more than once on green welcome, you transform into a child of sehan.

Green Welcome Addiction Level 5 Disease Endurance improve DC 20, maintain DC 16, worsen DC 18 or lower
---
The target is no longer addicted.

The target takes a -2 penalty to speed unless they have consumed green welcome since their last extended rest.

Initial Effect: The target takes a -2 penalty to speed and a -1 penalty to attack rolls unless they have consumed green welcome since their last extended rest.

Final State: The target takes a -2 penalty to speed, a -1 penalty to attack rolls, and regain only half the normal number of hit points from healing effects, unless they have consumed green welcome since their last extended rest.
Special: Unlike most diseases, you can still make endurance checks to improve while in the final state of green welcome addiction. If the disease worsens while you are in the final state, all DCs for this disease increase by 1.

Consumption of green welcome will probably not occur with the PCs but they will interact with NPCs who are using green welcome and this is a less potent version of Sehan (which comes into play in the next module).

What does everyone think?

spinmd

Fishy DM
Yak Folk

So for the yak folk, I am thinking of giving them some form of racial power or theme that identifies them as yak folk. Then I can create Yak folk sorcerers, monks, fighters, etc. that still carry a common theme.

For that racial theme, I started looking at what they had in 3e. They had a body meld ability which will play better as a yak folk only ritual. They could summon / command jann, which is too powerful for a racial theme. They could use magical staffs which I can't see an easy racial power there.

As the 3e version doesn't really address what I am looking for, I have been brainstorming some ideas. I could design something similar to the minotaur (as the yak folk have big horns), some mechanic that demonstrates their meditative / contemplative nature (they are encountered in a Eastern-themed temple of knowledge in the 3rd module), or something that shows their staff mastery (knock people prone maybe?).

Anybody got some cool ideas?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads