• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Mongoose) Babylon 5 RPG - Full Details!

Ranger REG

Explorer
A Strong Random Suggestion...

To Mongoose_Matt,

After contemplating over the weekend, I have but one wish you should seriously consider:

Drop d20. Go OGL.

I'm serious.

I mean think about it. You got the most popular brand and trademark sci-fi genre, Babylon 5. You got a lot of B5 fans out there, not just within the RPG community.

With OGL, you can make this a standalone core rulebook, complete with its own character creation advancement rules, without the need for a Wizards' rulebook. That's a big plus when attracting B5 fans who may be interested in roleplaying, as well as gamers who are ... for lack of a better word ... less receptive to a product that is labelled "compatible with D&D."

Instead, you could say that B5 is adapted from the rules based in your other game: Judge Dredd, Slaine, and the Conan.

Come on. What do you say, Matt? Make this your very first standalone OGL/SRD-based product. I swear you will not regret this business decision.

Ranger REG

Bladesman

First Post
"After contemplating over the weekend, I have but one wish you should seriously consider:

Drop d20. Go OGL.

I'm serious."

One thing to consider. I've heard people say that they won't even look at Mutants and Masterminds because it isn't d20. In fact, I've heard it quite a few times. Of course, all that does is show their ignorance to what it means to be d20 versus OGL, but the fact that there are people out there that feel that way is something to consider.

Dan Stack

First Post
Though if the product is to be released in May, it's unlikely that anything could be changed, I'll just echo REG - I think this would be a great OGL game. I love Mutants and Masterminds - it's nice being able to get a complete game, especially given the number of changes being proposed. And I think Babylon 5 is a perfect setting to do that with. (Of course, being devil's advocate for myself, you can cram more B5 stuff in if you don't need to explain what a skill, feat, class, etc. is).

Personally, I can't wait to see the game. May I have it now? I won't let anyone else know you gave it to me.

Dan Stack said:
(Of course, being devil's advocate for myself, you can cram more B5 stuff in if you don't need to explain what a skill, feat, class, etc. is)

Not to speak for Matt, but I'm pretty sure this is the most important point on making the game d20 and not OGL. There's more new stuff and reference material in the book since they don't have to go over the same old skills, feats, and what a 5-foot-step is for.

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
_Exactly_

We have already had to make some pretty painful decisions as to what to include and what to delay for supplements. Believe me, having all the core stuff in the PHB is a big plus as far as B5 is concerned. . .

Dan Stack

First Post
So basically I lost an argument with myself. ;)

Actually, I do see it as a valid point. I want a book filled to the rim of all sorts of B5-type stuff. I felt Chameleon Eclectic/Wireframe was a little constrained releasing their game before the end of B5's run - it forced them to limit the official setting. With B5 having largely run its course, it is very much a grand opportunity for roleplayers.

I'm hoping this game will help me turn my group into B5 fans. People in my group have either loved B5 once they tried it or couldn't get over the whole Centauri hair thing... But there's just so many possibilities - Rangers, Earthforce officers, Narn freedom fighters, IPX archeologists, you name it.

woodelf

First Post
Mongoose_Matt said:
A few more answers;

1. Zathras is mentioned in the main rulebook though, I have to confess, he has not been statted. Do you guys _really_ want his stats? :)
GOD, NO!

3. The main rulebook actually uses a converted Dragonstar system as a basis for its space combat. However, you know us - we just can't leave anything alone :) So, Starfuries can pivot in space, Vorlons have adaptive armour, the Minbari are _frightening_ and there are all sorts of other bits and pieces that have made this feel very different to the DS you all know and love. However, I have been considering an advanced space combat game - it is not a priority as, at its core, this is not what a B5 RPG should be about, but it is on the cards. . .

This raises an interesting question in my mind: This *is* intended to be a standalone, or at least pseudo-standalone game book, right? I'm mildly peeved if it "requires" another book, but only to tell me to roll 4d6 for each stat and spend this many XP to go up a level. But that's more one of principle--it wouldn't affect me, since i know the missing info, and even have friends who own a copy of the D&D3E PH, if i *really* need to look it up. It just seems that an RPG with as much potential crossover appeal as B5 really needs to be complete in and of itself, so that the non-gamer B5 fan who picks it up can sit down and play.

Anyway, I'd be very upset if i needed DragonStar for starship combat rules. (No starship combat rules? No biggie, i'll just use skill rolls with modifiers. "See XXX for starship combat rules"? Indifferent if XXX is the starship combat supplement for B5, mildly annoyed if it's part of some other supplement for B5 that i otherwise don't want (though, frankly, i can't imagine what that would be), but downright pissed off if it'd involve buying DragonStar, which is only a few steps behind Farscape on my "Most disappointing execution of a really cool premise" RPG list.) I actually take it from your post that the starship combat rules are in the main book, just derived from those in DragonStar.

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
woodelf said:

I actually take it from your post that the starship combat rules are in the main book, just derived from those in DragonStar.

Correct - the PHB is the only book you 'need' with B5. We tinker so much with such rules anyway :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Bladesman said:

One thing to consider. I've heard people say that they won't even look at Mutants and Masterminds because it isn't d20. In fact, I've heard it quite a few times. Of course, all that does is show their ignorance to what it means to be d20 versus OGL, but the fact that there are people out there that feel that way is something to consider.
Perhaps, but I think they may come around if we gamers are willing to promote them. Show them how the games works, like do a Demo Game Day at FLGS. Who knows? You might just convert them to OGL/SRD-based games as well.

As for B5 RPG, there is an even bigger audience, not just the d20 fan base. I mean what better way to promote an OGL-based game than with a very popular trademark?

Ranger REG

Explorer
GiantInThePlayground said:

Not to speak for Matt, but I'm pretty sure this is the most important point on making the game d20 and not OGL. There's more new stuff and reference material in the book since they don't have to go over the same old skills, feats, and what a 5-foot-step is for.
True, but when you are trying to attact B5 fans who may be potential gamers, can you honestly tell them that they need TWO books to play B5 RPG core rules?

I mean I am looking beyond the d20 community (those who own at least one Wizards' core game book so they're all set). There is a bigger market out there, and for that you may have to consider the opinion of those consumers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads