• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose doing Star Trek d20?

Napftor

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I'd say after seeing the ISBN I'm definitely going to doubt it being a false rumor, too. But really, is it any surprise that they would call it a false rumor before its been officially announced?

Definitely not. It's something the Mongoose is known for. *sigh* I wish I had freelanced more for them. I'd give up a precious body part (use your imagination) to work on a Star Trek rpg. :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Didn't Matt say he had a really big license to announce in 2005 last month, but couldn't announce it officially yet?

True or not, d20 (and preferably d20 Modern/Future) Star Trek would be a dream come true for me.

Then again, maybe it's NOT d20 logo d20, but OGL, or some other system, so Matt wouldn't be wrong in saying d20 Star Trek is just a rumor. :)

VorpalBunny

Explorer
I'm willing take Matt at his word and believe it's a false rumor. Mongoose may have had designs on the Trek license and it fell through, or another of a million other reasons.

HOWEVER, if it's not then I'd like to see Mongoose continue the game with Decipher's CODA system. CODA is similiar enough to d20 to flatten the learning curve, and IMO fits the Trek universe extremely well. Also, it would do my sense of justice well to see Mongoose use Decipher's house system to support and profit from a great RPG license that Decipher just let rot without so much as an explanation to the fans. :mad:

Last edited:

Torm

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
False rumor? I doubt it. Not with an ISBN and an entry at Amazon! :)
I wouldn't say that - "Salmon of Doubt" by Douglas Adams had an ISBN and an entry at Amazon YEARS before his publisher bound a bunch of the deceased author's notes and released them in a volume with that name. It about drove Adams' fans insane (or further insane, I should say ;) ) for quite a while, and I've still never seen an explanation.

We can only hope. The ISBN really does grant it an air of legitimacy, and with NDA's and the like, I can see of course that they would deny it before it was officially announced.

I like d20, I like Star Trek. I would love a Star Trek d20 game. The old FASA game was a disaster, the Last Unicorn Games version was pretty nice (I have almost all the books for it), but Decipher's just didn't seem to have that same spark.

Mongoose proved with the Babylon 5 RPG that they can make a fine licensed sci-fi RPG, and I'd definitely buy a Star Trek one if they made it. (of course, I doubt Paramount would be as cooperative with the creative side as JMS was with the B5 RPG, but they've shown they could do it well)

Paramount/Viacom is known for being a total sell-out when it comes to the Star Trek license, they'll put it on anything if it'll sell, so the Star Trek RPG license is doubtless to not die just because Decipher did. Even if Mongoose doesn't pick it up, it won't lie untaken indefinitely.

Remove ads