• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose in 2006 (and a bit on the Industry in General)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
If "Holy Grail" was a clue, then it perhaps could be "The DaVinci Code", though I personally don't think it would make much of an RPG. (And I also disagree with that books portrayal of my religion, but it's best not to go into that...)

Magestrike

First Post
Just my opinion

If Holy Grail is indeed a "clue", then it would led you to believe that it would in fact be either Monty Python or Indiana Jones.

However, I think it is one that another poster mentioned:

Dr. Who

The new series is doing very well, bringing attention back to the series. And it would translate well into an RPG. Think about the supplements alone. Wow.

Mage

rpghost

First Post
Vascant said:
Don'I kind of would bet on Middle Earth or Harry Potter.

I don't think it's going to be Harry Potter unless Mongoose has REAL magic behind the doors. The author has repeatedly and publicly stated she'll never sell a license for it to be made into an RPG as she doesn't believe in them or something lame. So it would take a huge amount of work (money?) to do that and I doubt it highly in this case even.

As for Middle Earth, isn't there enough stuff out there? Why would another one (the 3rd?) be a holy grail of RPGs?

James

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Two people have mentioned Mid-Kemia. A little background for folks.

Mid-Kemia is based upon the Mid-Kimia campaign. An original D&D setting run by a gaming group in San Diego CA. The gaming rights are held by an individual living in San Diego, and he has consistently expressed no interest in seeing the world done by anybody else.

BTW, the original campaign also featured adventures in the original Empire of the Petal Throne. While the serial numbers were filed off for the novels, there is still enough of a connection to make any game publication liable to litigation.

malladin

Explorer
There's only really a few licences (IMO) that could be considered big enough to be "holy grail" material. These, IMO would have to be something with a massive appeal across a number of different types of media (TV, Film, Literature, comics, etc)

Middle Earth
Harry Potter
The Matrix
Marvel universe
DC universe
Star Wars
Star Trek

Much as I would love to see them, I don't think Eddings, Gemmel or Feist's worlds would fit that description, and so probably aren't big enough to be considered "Holy Grail" material. As would be Dr Who, given that its only just come back after a long period of obscurity.

Given that Middle earth, Marvel, Star wars and trek are, to my knowledge, already taken, It leaves us with Potter, the Matrix or DC.

If the comment above is true, that Rowling doesn't like RPGs (she's a funny woman, that one :) ), then I think we can rule out potter.

Which leaves DC or the Matrix. Much as it pains me to say it (because of Etherscope coming out soon), the Matrix would seem to me to be the most likely. Maybe I'm paranoid... any thoughts?

Ben

morrigan

First Post
malladin said:
SNIP
If the comment above is true, that Rowling doesn't like RPGs (she's a funny woman, that one :) ), then I think we can rule out potter.

Ben

To my knowledge Rowling has nothing against RPGs and I have no idea where that notion arose and spread. We had actually been in talks with her literary agent (Christopher Little Agency) and they gave a Harry Potter RPG the thumbs up before passing us on to Warner who handle all licensing that relates to the Harry Potter movies. That's where things died but I assume Mongoose could probably come up with a far larger advance check than little 'ol Morrigan so my money is on an HP RPG which, IMHO, could knock the socks off the industry by bringing in a HUGE new, and younger, crowd to the hobby.

Cheers,
Scott Agnew
Morrigan Press Inc.
www.morriganrpg.com

morrigan

First Post
rpghost said:
I don't think it's going to be Harry Potter unless Mongoose has REAL magic behind the doors. The author has repeatedly and publicly stated she'll never sell a license for it to be made into an RPG as she doesn't believe in them or something lame. So it would take a huge amount of work (money?) to do that and I doubt it highly in this case even.

As for Middle Earth, isn't there enough stuff out there? Why would another one (the 3rd?) be a holy grail of RPGs?

James

Could you direct me to those public sources of evidence of Rowlings dislike of RPGs? I've heard this time and time again but have never seen or heard any proof and, as my post above states, we had dealings with her literary agency who didn't seem to mind the idea at all.

Cheers,
Scott Agnew
Morrigan Press Inc.
www.morriganrpg.com

Remove ads