• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose in 2006 (and a bit on the Industry in General)

malladin

Explorer
Banshee16 said:
Why wouldn't Midkemia be popular enough? The novels are consistently in the New York Times top sellers, they've had an RPG before, it's a 20-year old property that is still doing well, and they've even had a pair of successful computer games (ie. Betrayal at Krondor, Return to Krondor)......plus I believe there was talk of a MMORPG set in Middle Earth as well. That's far more history/success than many other licenses out there...

Banshee

Yes, sorry I was not aware of the computer games, so I suppose this would put Midkemia within my rough specification, for what its worth :).

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that Matt is having a reasonable coversation with some of the more "serious" (for lack of a better word) posters about Mongoose's products, whilst we're just throwing random guesses as to what the licence will be? :) I don't know why I'm bothering, anyway: I don't own a single licenced RPG, I much prefer content that is specifically written with roleplaying in mind (which I suppose would include Midkemia :), or planescape for that matter).

Ben (sorry for randomness)

Belen

Adventurer
Mongoose_Matt said:
Belenumeria: I'll see if I can put together a post or two covering each line over 2006. BTW, come January, you will be able to look on our site and see not only what month each book or miniature comes out, but what _day_. . .

Thanks Matt. One of my serious pet peeves with the d20 publishers is lack of detail regarding upcoming releases. So far, only Necromancer seems to be able to provide the type of info that makes me drool of their releases, although Mongoose does a decent job of it so far.

The worst of the major companies about detailing upcoming product has to be Green Ronin. Their site is arcane and difficult to use.

Banshee16

First Post
malladin said:
Yes, sorry I was not aware of the computer games, so I suppose this would put Midkemia within my rough specification, for what its worth :).

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that Matt is having a reasonable coversation with some of the more "serious" (for lack of a better word) posters about Mongoose's products, whilst we're just throwing random guesses as to what the licence will be? :) I don't know why I'm bothering, anyway: I don't own a single licenced RPG, I much prefer content that is specifically written with roleplaying in mind (which I suppose would include Midkemia :), or planescape for that matter).

Ben (sorry for randomness)

Planescape would be a good one for roleplaying :) For licensed properties, check out "A Game of Thrones"....it's actually pretty roleplaying centered, instead of hack and slash.

Banshee

catsclaw227

First Post
I'm a bigtime Mongoose fan too, despite the reports of poor editing in their d20 products. I personally think that they've consistently provided me with GREAT ideas and as a result, I own about 30 or more of their d20 print and pdf products.

Banshee16

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
I'm a bigtime Mongoose fan too, despite the reports of poor editing in their d20 products. I personally think that they've consistently provided me with GREAT ideas and as a result, I own about 30 or more of their d20 print and pdf products.

I feel the same way....many of the Mongoose books I have maybe aren't quite as "polished" in layout/editing etc......but they've got cool concepts etc. The spell replacement abilities for sorcerers were a really cool idea, for example.

Haven't looked at the Conan stuff, as I'm not a Conan fan...though I've heard it's very good.

Banshee

Staffan

Legend
BelenUmeria said:
Thanks Matt. One of my serious pet peeves with the d20 publishers is lack of detail regarding upcoming releases. So far, only Necromancer seems to be able to provide the type of info that makes me drool of their releases, although Mongoose does a decent job of it so far.
I think many publishers are wary of giving away information about future releases, because they don't really know when those releases will be forthcoming. To use an example from Necromancer Games: Bard's Gate (and a supplement about it) was mentioned as early as 2000, in The Crucible of Freya, and is currently scheduled for an April 2006 release. As a consequence, nowadays some publishers feel that the appropriate time to announce a product is when it's on its way to the printer.

Belen

Adventurer
Staffan said:
I think many publishers are wary of giving away information about future releases, because they don't really know when those releases will be forthcoming. To use an example from Necromancer Games: Bard's Gate (and a supplement about it) was mentioned as early as 2000, in The Crucible of Freya, and is currently scheduled for an April 2006 release. As a consequence, nowadays some publishers feel that the appropriate time to announce a product is when it's on its way to the printer.

I am very familiar with Bard's Gate. I have been waiting on it that long. However, Necromancer will post their upcoming products. I love that about them and it gives me a chance to decide on whether I want the product and put away some cash for it.

I am at the point now where I will not buy from companies who do not have an "upcoming" list. I do not trust that they have any idea of what they are doing.

Remove ads