• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Mongoose) Latest Conan RPG Preview

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I just looked through all the previews, the cover is most impressive, very conanesque. The layout is very attractive, the content looks ok, i'm curious how the whole product will play. The art (yeah, yeah, it's me again with the art) is good to so-so, it's either not very detailed or to bland. The scholar on page 69 is most excellent, the same scolar in preview 2 i'm not sure of, it could be bad, it could be good, not high enough resolution. The manape from preview 2 is a bit ti comicy for my taste, but still way better then the class drawings for Armegeddon 2089. The images from preview 3 are a bit blurry, i hope that's because it's a low resolution...

The naked women on every left page isn't very great (some will start complaining that the book falls apart after 'normal' use ;-) i could have done without that image...

Overall, i'm very curious about this release...

JoeGKushner

First Post
The previews look interesting. I hope that all of those references to page xx are fixed though.

The art is okay. I was really hoping that the art from some of the Barry Windsoar material would make it in there, much as the actual Slaine art made it into it's own RPG book.

Iron_Chef

First Post
The material chosen for the website previews often raise more questions than they answer (Preview 2: Obsession is particularly poor; it is very confusing without the section on Allegiance rules, and an understanding of power points---it just makes the sorcery rules of the game look overly complicated). With the release date fast approaching, why not put the Conan previews from Signs & Portents online to help sway those who haven't made up their minds? The S&P content becomes completely useless in terms of defining additional back issue sales when the game it is previewing has already been released. The S&P previews were much better at gearing up my interest than the web previews!

Last edited:

thomden

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
The art is okay. I was really hoping that the art from some of the Barry Windsoar material would make it in there, much as the actual Slaine art made it into it's own RPG book.

I must agree, as a raving BWS fan I would LOVE to see an RPG fully illustrated with his work.

It seems to me Mongoose is using the new Dark Horse comics Conan, I mean at least the design of his costume on the cover is the same. The artist Dark Horse is using kicks major booty, I'd be happy to see his work illustrating the RPG as well.

Has anyone seen the new compiled Conan stories illustrated by Mark Shultz? Droooool ... good stuff.

td

Iron_Chef

First Post
tldenmark said:
I must agree, as a raving BWS fan I would LOVE to see an RPG fully illustrated with his work.

It seems to me Mongoose is using the new Dark Horse comics Conan, I mean at least the design of his costume on the cover is the same. The artist Dark Horse is using kicks major booty, I'd be happy to see his work illustrating the RPG as well.

Has anyone seen the new compiled Conan stories illustrated by Mark Shultz? Droooool ... good stuff.

td

I just looked through Rogues In The House at my FLGS, and thought the Barry Windsor-Smith art sucked big time (like a bad version of John Buscema!), but it looked pretty standard for the early 70s as far as generic comic book art goes. I'd never seen it before; maybe I'd have liked it if I grew up on it, but as it is, I immediately lost all interest in buying the Conan comic reprints. I do think Barry did some nice stuff later in his career (thumbing through his "best of" art book a few minutes later to reassure myself that I'd liked his art at some point).

I am more a fan of the Savage Sword of Conan B&W magazine Esteban Maroto/Alfredo Alcala style of art, and some of the really beautiful art that appeared sporadically in the Marvel comics for Conan and Conan The King later (early-mid 80s).

I just ordered the Conan reprints with the new Mark Schultz art; it didn't look that special from the cover image, but the image was so small, I couldn't make out all the details, even after blowing it up. I bought it for the stories, just so I could get them without all the awful L. Sprague de Camp/Lin Carter tampering of Howard's stories in the twelve volume set from ACE.

Remove ads