• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose Publishing's Complete Campaigns

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Has anyone heard much about these, other than the Slaine reprint?

I'm sort of intereseted in both "Ruins of the Dragon Lord" and, although my brain has a hard time imagining a drow saga MORE epic than G 1-3, D 1-3 and Q1, the "Drow War" also sounds worth a look, particularly if it doesn't rely on previously published drow books from Mongoose, since three hardcovers will already be plenty to buy.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
http://mongoosepublishing.com/d20/series.php?qsSeries=34

The perfect tool for the harried Games Master! The Complete Campaign series is designed to do what it says on the cover - each book provides a complete campaign, from start to finish. All tools, side adventures and ultimate conclusions are included. The Games Master just has to read through the various sections beforehand and then turn up to the gaming session with a Complete Campaign under his arm!

The Complete Campaign series kicks off with the Drow War, a trilogy of hardbacks that will take characters from 1st to 30th level! This has to be the biggest campaign available off the shelf! More are due to follow, including Modern and Celtic Fantasy-based campaigns, giving Games Masters all they need for months worth of adventuring.

Apr 2005
The Drow War I - The Gathering Storm

May 2005
Ruins of the Dragon Lord
The Drow War II - Halls of Darkness
The Horned God

pogre

Legend
I share whizbang's curiosity. I understand Mongoose's standards have continued to get better - at least according to the ENWorld reviewers - so I will give them another shot on this product.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I can't imagine being able to use one of these. My players have never behaved as expected. Three times in 4 years I have tried running a published module for them, and every time they have wandered off in some direction not supported by the published product/products.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Buttercup said:
I can't imagine being able to use one of these. My players have never behaved as expected. Three times in 4 years I have tried running a published module for them, and every time they have wandered off in some direction not supported by the published product/products.

One of the myriad reasons I don't run published adventures.

As a player, I actually enjoy being railroaded by a module if it has a good story to tell - it's rather like playing a console RPG, only multiplayer - but I'd never expect to find a gaming group with a similar attitude.

Why is Mongoose messing around with this stuff when there's more Conan material to be made, not to mention OGL Manga! :D

Crothian

First Post
My goodness, this has to be the most ambitious idea since WLD and maybe even bigger then that. Mongoose has really improved as there last few books I have gotten have been good quality. I'm not sure what to make of these but I applaud them for giving this a try.

Chingerspy

First Post
I'm with those in the "don't really run published adventures" camp. I usually end up snagging sections of the module and piecing together something I can work into my own campaign. With that said I DO like Mongoose's product so will give these a look. However I also can't see why a still smallish company in terms of HQ and permanent staff insists on increasing the workload. Was there a secret balot where Mongoose asked the community what they wanted and nearly everyone put a X next to Modules? I doubt it. Gimmie Conan, give the rest their JD and Bab5 minis and material and give yourselves a break! Are Mongoose's D&D products that essential to their income? after the slating they've had over older books (first impressions last) I imagine not.

I like the concept.

I've always wanted to run a true super-sized adventure. We went through CotSQ once, where I played, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

It's true that players often don't follow the directions, but as long as the road map is expansive enough I actually enjoy that.

What works about it for me is that if the major events and locations are plotted out it makes it far easier for me to improvise or detail the points where the PCs get hung up. And I love exactly those aspects.

Never been much for building the whole village, but the one crazy shop can occupy me for weeks.

Don't know how much I like a three hard back set up though. I think I would go for the Warlords of the Accordlands complete campaign setting treatment before I went for that.

I love Mongoose's ideas but their editting is a bit iffy.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
It's true that players often don't follow the directions, but as long as the road map is expansive enough I actually enjoy that.

Oh, I actually do buy lots of published adventures. I think I own every one that Necromancer has published since Crucible of Freya. I mine them for ideas. But I'll never attempt to run one straight through again.

Remove ads