• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose's "The Drow War I - The Gathering Storm"

Man-thing

First Post
You know we never really found it a problem. It was a nice safety-blanket-like feel but it actually never came up. We had to replace starborn in some areas of the module simply because of the way they died and we were unable to cover a body for resurrection.
In other DW books there have been times when if players died they stayed dead.

Players can die. Players will die. Its just that provided the right opportunity they might be able to come back. We never had an instance where players recklessly threw their life away because "they cannot die".

Still, removing the starborn/host. I would simply keep them for plot details, (constellation, sensing host), but just make it so no one can be raised/resurrected.

Cavalorn

First Post
Waylander the Slayer said:
I discussed with my players and they will absolutely never play anything so linear where the player characters cannot die and are the "chosen ones".

Drow War presents a certain kind of story, the Eternal Champion/Hakkenden/Water Margin kind, where the characters are heroes with a capital H, and have a Destiny, though whether they achieve it or not (and what form it ultimately takes) depends on them. It seemed to me to be a good approach to an epic saga that was to be three books long!

Starborn can certainly die, just like any other D&D character. All that was done with the world of Ashfar was to restrict the raising and resurrection that is available to everyone in other D&D campaign worlds so that only Starborn and Host can benefit from it.

catsclaw227

First Post
Cavalorn said:
Starborn can certainly die, just like any other D&D character. All that was done with the world of Ashfar was to restrict the raising and resurrection that is available to everyone in other D&D campaign worlds so that only Starborn and Host can benefit from it.

I may have read this wrong -- but you still need a raise dead spell or ressurection scroll or something don't you? Or is is just automatic at a node? Is there any loss of ability?

Cavalorn

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
but you still need a raise dead spell or ressurection scroll or something don't you? Or is is just automatic at a node? Is there any loss of ability?

It's automatic at a node, exactly as per raise dead, including losses, and including the restrictions regarding the condition of the body. Starborn and Host can gain raise dead and resurrection spells, but only they can gain them, and they only work on Starborn and Host.

Basically, think of the nodes as friendly NPC clerics casting raise dead. :)

catsclaw227

First Post
Cavalorn said:
It's automatic at a node, exactly as per raise dead, including losses, and including the restrictions regarding the condition of the body. Starborn and Host can gain raise dead and resurrection spells, but only they can gain them, and they only work on Starborn and Host.

Basically, think of the nodes as friendly NPC clerics casting raise dead. :)

That's good. I have a player that is a bit gung ho. He's a valiant type, heard screams and decided to take on the ankheg one-on-one and got pummelled, fortunately it never dragged him into the hole.

2WS-Steve

First Post
I'm still reading through it -- and liking it a lot. I had mentioned elsewhere that it felt like Masks of Nyarlathotep, in scope, flexibility, and internal coherence.

I'm taking my time since it will likely be a while before I get a group together again. One thing I plan to do is pick up WotC's Weapons of Legacy and use those for the big, character specific items the book suggests (very cool for this kind of campaign) -- perhaps with some extra boosts.

Mytholder

2WS-Steve said:
I'm taking my time since it will likely be a while before I get a group together again. One thing I plan to do is pick up WotC's Weapons of Legacy and use those for the big, character specific items the book suggests (very cool for this kind of campaign) -- perhaps with some extra boosts.

Ooooh. I like that idea a lot.

catsclaw227

First Post
Cavalorn --

One quick question again:

[sblock]The first signature item is obviously Starkweather John's Sword, and the entry for the Hall of Echoes in Saragost mentions that the players will eventually learn the location of their weapons from the Orb of Azurite (but the GM may foreshadow a bit). After reading that entry for the orb, I wondered if it would be wise to spread then out a bit. I have 6 players and it would seem to make more sense if they were found somewhat sporadically. Can you suggest places and parts of the adventure where I could place them that would make the most sense, given the scope of the adventure?[/sblock]

Thanks for your help.

Catsclaw

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads