• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monk Attacks Question

sgtscott658

First Post
Hi all-

Prepping for my sunday game and am working on a Monk NPC for the last encounter for my version of HotDQ. Ok so here it goes, I made a 6th level monk Mondo Fruitsalad Dark Elf with 56 HP 2 attacks..

At 6th level he can move 45 feet so within the movement limits he can attack. So can he move 10 feet use his his first attack He does Stunning Strike then follows it up with two unarmed strikes his bonus action of Flurry of blows?

Then with his extra attack remaining can he move another 15 feet strike to Stun and use Flurry of blows but instead switchs to Way of the Open Hand?

Pretty devastating if used correctly, Stun the healer, and if within 45 feet hit the fighter.

Any input would be appreciated

Scott

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Hi all-

Prepping for my sunday game and am working on a Monk NPC for the last encounter for my version of HotDQ. Ok so here it goes, I made a 6th level monk Mondo Fruitsalad Dark Elf with 56 HP 2 attacks..

At 6th level he can move 45 feet so within the movement limits he can attack. So can he move 10 feet use his his first attack He does Stunning Strike then follows it up with two unarmed strikes his bonus action of Flurry of blows?

Then with his extra attack remaining can he move another 15 feet strike to Stun and use Flurry of blows but instead switchs to Way of the Open Hand?

Pretty devastating if used correctly, Stun the healer, and if within 45 feet hit the fighter.

Any input would be appreciated

Scott

D&D Basic Rules - Breaking Up Your Move (p. 70) Moving between Attacks
If you take an action that includes more than one weapon attack, you can break up your movement even further by moving between those attacks. For example, a fighter who can make two attacks with the Extra Attack feature and who has a speed of 25 feet could move 10 feet, make an attack, move 15 feet, and then attack again.

sgtscott658

First Post
The number of possible attacks is pretty brutal, not only do you get your two attacks for 6th level but the addition of bonus attacks add a whole new wrinkle to the over all picture. This can make life seriously complicated for the DM. In 3.5 you got your attacks at as a full action with the caveat of being limited to a 5ft step. Now you get a actions + bonus actions and can move all over the place as long as it is within your movement rate limit IE the Monk at 6th level can move 45ft, so he can get off one attack plus bonus attack at 10 feet, take a chance with AoO and shift another 30ft for his second attack on that pesky mage plus his bonus attack.

Hopefully I'm reading that correctly

Scott

ForumFerret

Explorer
Note that you can only Flurry of Blows once per Turn, so in your example sequence you could move, Attack 1, Bonus Action(Flurry of Blows), move, Attack 2.

Since you only get one bonus action per turn, you can only flurry once.

Remove ads