• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Build Help

Crownless King

First Post
alright so im attempting to make a monk that does crazytons of dmg so far what i got is...

Lvl 4 monk
Str: 18 Wis: 17 Dex: 16 Con: 14 Int: 10 Cha: 9
AC:16
BAB: 4
Fort: 6
Will: 7
Ref: 7

i dont have anything special so far, but i plan on getting a...necklace of natural attacks or something with sizing to increase my unarmed strikes size category to colossal. I also intend to get a Monks Belt and the feat Superior unarmed Strike so my dmg will be 24D8.

Of course i get a -2 attack roll penalty per size increase (if anyone can disprove this lemme kno what book its from) so i'll have a -12 attack roll penalty since my DM put a size increase cap at 6 increases.

So I will hit my peak dmg at lvl 11 at most if i manage to scrounge the 18k gold to buy the items.

If anyone knows what else i can do lemme kno, i intend to get 8 lvls into Initiate of draconic mysteries at some point, for the Die type increases (24D8 would become 24D12). I am not allowed any psionics and i am adamant about using my unarmed strikes. So anything that could help, lemme kno whether it be equipment, feats, skills, or PrCs...anything is helpful.

Crownless King

First Post
Oh also if anyone knows if there is a book with the chart that shows it is possible to reach higher than 6 size increases lemme kno, since My DM wants proof of everything i do. Also plz provide the full name of the book for whatever you mention so i may be able to look it up, thank you.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You can find some of what you're looking for in the database in my sig.

Your penalties to attack due to size boosts will probably be offset by Str bonuses- make sure you check your math.

The Kensai PrCl from CompWar has a +8Str boost that is untyped, and can be used as many times as you make the DC check to activate it- another way to offset those attack penalties.

In fact, anything that boosts your Str has the potential to help you offset that- don't forget mundane things like Bull's Strength potions or even Gauntlets of Ogre Power or Giant Strength belts, etc.

The Shiba Protector from OA adds your PC's Wis bonus to Att/Dam rolls.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
The Greater Mighty Wallop spell from the SpC is good.

Monk's Belt and Superior Unarmed Strike do not stack.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm talking about those effects (spells/psionics/devices) for increasing PC size- Enlarge Person, etc.- most of them boost Str as well as increasing size.

For giggles, you might also look into Ring the Golden Bell from Dragon Compendium v1- it lets you use your unarmed strikes at range for a use of your Stunning Fist. Its not a world-beater feat, but it can come in handy.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The Greater Mighty Wallop spell from the SpC is good.

Races of the Dragon.

I think Monk's Belt in particular is a waste of money for what it does. Superior Unarmed Strike is only worth it if the DM allows your unarmed damage progression to go past Monk 16. I forgot if that's RAW or not, but if not, it could eventually become a worthless feat.

Amulet of Mighty Fists, if that's what you meant, is a waste of money, too. Costs TRIPLE normal cost! If you have a druid or arcanist in the party, Greater Magic Weapon and GM Fang do the same thing for one spell slot.

Don't forget the simplest, best damage increaser: Imp. Natural Attack. :)

Beyond that, it may be worthwhile finding ways to move and full attack. Tome of Battle has maneuvers to help with that (Sudden Leap, Pouncing Charge, Quicksilver Motion). MIC has swift action teleport items ann the Belt of Battle.

EDIT: ToB also has Snap Kick feat, which lets you tack on an additional unarmed strike to any attack action, even a charge.

Corsair

First Post
Also if your DM allows the unarmed swordsage variant, he may allow their unarmed attack advancement to stack with the monk, allowing some multiclassing options.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads