• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Changes

No Name

First Post
Looks like all attack powers are now implement based and none of them target AC. I still haven't figured out how to get an expertise bonus with monk unarmed strike. Focused Expertise (Monk Unarmed Strike) is gone. The Five Storms at-will only targets enemies now. Some of the powers have new and improved names, and the attack powers no longer do [W] damage.

They added Religion to the class skill list (should have been there to begin with IMO).

They also added a new monk only feat - Pointed Step Style. It gives you a little more reach when flurrying with a spear.

No Name

First Post
Implement Expertise: Ki Focus
I tried that. Maybe my CB is buggy. I got it to work once but couldn't repeat it.

I can get the expertise bonus to show up when I have a spear equipped, using either Implement Expertise: Ki Focus or Focused Expertise: Ki Focus. Both feats seem to work. The problem is when Monk Unarmed Strike is the weapon of choice. When I got it to work, I was doing a lot of switching between spear, monk unarmed strike, and shuriken under the Shop tab. Then *poof* it just worked. Once.

No Name

First Post
I think I figured it out.

I should have read the update on my character's weapon. Monk Unarmed Strike can no longer be enchanted. You have to use a ki focus now.

There is still some weirdness though. If you have Implement (or Focused) Expertise: Ki Focus and use a weapon (such as a spear), the enhancement bonus of the equipped ki focus has to be greater than that of the equipped weapon for you to get the expertise bonus. It will say Magic Ki Focused Spear +x instead of Magic Spear +x. But if you take Implement (or Focused) Expertise: Spear, it all works fine.

The characteristics (high crit, defensive, etc.) of the weapon no longer matters with the monk's implement powers. I'm guessing that includes reach as well. Any weapon the monk is proficient with can be used as an implement. So if you want to be a glaive wielding monk, just take the appropriate weapon proficiency feat.

Destil

Explorer
I think I figured it out.

I should have read the update on my character's weapon. Monk Unarmed Strike can no longer be enchanted. You have to use a ki focus now.

YES! I was hoping for this from the day the Assassin hit the `net.

Looks like they still lack some way to do something like transfer enchantment, which I really think monks should get at will (albeit with a long use time, an hour or during an extended rest) so they don't need to rely on others to be able to use any weapon they pick up. But this is still a big net plus.

Worguron

First Post
YES! I was hoping for this from the day the Assassin hit the `net.

Looks like they still lack some way to do something like transfer enchantment, which I really think monks should get at will (albeit with a long use time, an hour or during an extended rest) so they don't need to rely on others to be able to use any weapon they pick up. But this is still a big net plus.

You don't need to transfer enchantments anymore. Ki Focuses are solid objects that are enchanted in and of themselves. When you use a Ki Focus, it doesn't matter what weapon you use. As long as you are proficient with it, you can channel the power of your Ki Focus to hit as hard with your fist or a simple spear, as you do with a magical dagger or club.

No Name

First Post
I've been playing around with the monk in the CB. To get everything to work correctly, I had to remake my character from scratch.

Monk Unarmed Strike is no longer for sale in the CB's Shop tab. On my original character, I had deleted the non-magical version and replaced it with an enchanted one. The only way I found to get unenchanted MUS back was by creating a new character. MUS is not listed under 'Your Equipment' but it does start equipped on your main hand.

I made a level 2 sample monk to test stuff. For this character's gear, I have an unenchanted Monk Unarmed Strike, a Rebounding Shuriken +1, and a Magic Ki Focus +2. My feat choices are Focused Expertise (Ki Focus) and Weapon Focus (Unarmed).

From the Monk Debut article, under Implements in the second paragraph, "You can also add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of weapon attacks you make using a weapon with which you’re proficient."

With MUS equipped, all monk attack powers benefit from Focused Expertise and Weapon Focus. Melee Basic Attack also benefits from both. Ranged Basic Attack with the shuriken also benefits from Focused Expertise (Ki Focus). But if the attack is made that way, then the Rebounding property can't be used. If I want to use Rebounding, then my 'to hit' drops by 2 (-1 for loss of expertise feat and the enhancement bonus is +1 instead of +2).

Don't take Implement Focus (Ki Focus) as it does not add anything to Basic Attacks.

Mentat55

First Post
I wonder if dropping Weapon powers will be a net win or loss for the monk. The commentary says that they generally substituted d10 for [W], so clearly that is a win, since the unarmed strike is only d8, and would presumably be the standard weapon used by most monks.

Giving up the +3 proficiency bonus for attacking Reflex (usually) seems like a push, perhaps even a net loss. Obviously, against some monsters, it is probably a big win (soldiers, for example), but against most, it seems like a loss. If you take a look at this thread for the MM, Reflex is on average 2.75 pts lower than AC. Monks really lose out against artillery, lurkers, and skirmishers, a bit with brutes, are about even with minions and controllers, and gain a lot with soldiers. If the monk is effectively losing attack bonus against artillery/lurkers/skirmishers, that is especially bad, I'd argue, because the monk (even more so than other melee strikers) really seems suited for running these guys down and whacking them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads