• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk, Fighter, Duelist, Now What?

prodawg

First Post
I'm DM for a game. I have a NPC monk, fighter, duelist that helps out when the players don't have a fighter avail to soak up damage.
The character is 17 level, Monk 3, Fighter 4, Duelist 10 and lawful good. My question is now that I have maxed out duelist, now what?
The character concept is build for survivability and being able to dish out some damage when push comes to shove.
The feats are: Ambidexterity, Dodge, Mobility, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Off- Hand Parry, Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization: Rapier.
My question is now that I cannot go duelist anymore, what now?
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

mzsylver

Explorer
you're an npc. hit epic monk a tad early... :D

feat wise... maybe Improved Two Weapon, Fists of Iron, Expert Tactician, Saving Throw Feat... hmm.

i would suggest Shadowdancer if you have the skill ranks. or just more fighter.

good luck!

psionotic

Rogue On!!

Yep, the sneak attack dice and uncanny dodge are worth 3 levels of rogue for every duelist, says I!!

(Mine is currently Duelist 9, Fighter 4, Rogue 3)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
A level or 3 of Cleric is not bad if you can get a useful Domain ability. Allows access to a lot of useful wands. Helps that Will save.

Luck, Travel, and Destruction are the best from the core books, but they may not mesh with his alignment. Do not underestimate the usefulness of the lowly Obscuring Mist (1st lvl Air & Water) or Fog Cloud (2nd lvl Water); sometimes slowly down combat is important and you can't count on the Wizard to do it for you.

Chun-tzu

First Post
I assume you're human, and that taking another core class will cost you an experience penalty for at least one level. Still, rogue (or even bard) isn't such a bad idea.

I'd aim for a new PrC, though.

If you take one level of bard, proficiency with the whip as a bard, and weapon focus: whip for level 18, you can still get 2 levels of Lasher. This mixes well for Zorro-types.

If you take 2 more levels of fighter, you get 2 more feats (one for level 18 character, one for level 6 fighter). Spring Attack and Weapon Finesse would allow you to qualify for Tempest.

Assuming you've got enough ranks in Jump and Tumble (a good chance, given you're a level 10 Duelist), you can take one level in any spellcasting class to qualify for Blade Dancer (you must use your level 18 feat for Spring Attack). Going with Sorcerer would give you access to spells like Shield and True Strike; with Cleric, you could gain access to the Luck domain. Personally, I'd go with this one.

jollyninja

First Post
3 levels of rogue is definetly the best route, more skill points, uncanny dodge, sneak attack dice, ect. this is identical to a character i played for awhile except that half way through dualist he took assassin. speaking of which, assassin levels stack with rogue levels for purposes of uncanny dodge, do that. woooo, death machine on the loose, he could go evil and become a sweet villian for you. the pc's know him, that makes it so much better. if you are really cruel you could make one of the pc's his kill to become an assassin.

if you don't like that, go fighter until ELH comes out, then take something out of there or try to make epic duelist levels. if his primary responsibility is as a combat machine, then take the extra feats and avoid the exp penalties from multiclassing to rogue.

Remove ads