• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Fix: Form of Many Dragons?

Empath Negative

First Post
Give monks access to the ranger or paladin spell list (with a few necessary changes, obviously), and while conscious allow them to maintain a number of buffs on themselves, their gear, and any bonded companion (i.e. familiar, animal companion, etc etc) equal to their wisdom modifier.

i.e. a level 20 Monk with 24 wisdom that chooses the Paladin spell list could maintain Resist Energy, Death Ward, Holy Sword, Divine Favor, Magic Circle Against Chaos, and Dispel Chaos continuously, so long as the Monk remained conscious.

The spell would still consume a slot, and it would have to be "recast" the next day but would otherwise have a duration of 24 hours. If a spell has a feature that allows it to be expended or otherwise used such as Dispel Chaos it it may be recast at anytime later and would remain just as permanent.

emoplato

First Post
Give monks access to the ranger or paladin spell list (with a few necessary changes, obviously), and while conscious allow them to maintain a number of buffs on themselves, their gear, and any bonded companion (i.e. familiar, animal companion, etc etc) equal to their wisdom modifier.

i.e. a level 20 Monk with 24 wisdom that chooses the Paladin spell list could maintain Resist Energy, Death Ward, Holy Sword, Divine Favor, Magic Circle Against Chaos, and Dispel Chaos continuously, so long as the Monk remained conscious.

The spell would still consume a slot, and it would have to be "recast" the next day but would otherwise have a duration of 24 hours. If a spell has a feature that allows it to be expended or otherwise used such as Dispel Chaos it it may be recast at anytime later and would remain just as permanent.
You may want to look at the Quinggong Monk from Pathfinder for a basis to handle something like this. I wouldn't have a companion as the Monk archetype is a bit of loner.

Empath Negative

First Post
You may want to look at the Quinggong Monk from Pathfinder for a basis to handle something like this. I wouldn't have a companion as the Monk archetype is a bit of loner.

The suggestion isn't to provide the monk with a companion, but just in the case of that eventuality.

They would still get nonbuff spells... dispel magic, neutralize poison and so forth... but they could sacrifice a number of spell slots of the correct level per day equal to their wisdom ability modifier to give those buffs a duration of 24 hours or whatever.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The suggestion isn't to provide the monk with a companion, but just in the case of that eventuality.

They would still get nonbuff spells... dispel magic, neutralize poison and so forth... but they could sacrifice a number of spell slots of the correct level per day equal to their wisdom ability modifier to give those buffs a duration of 24 hours or whatever.
That sounds kind of cool, making the Monk more magical. I'd be curious to see that play tested, off the top of my head it sounds pretty reasonable and unique. In my mind it seems analogous to the Warlock/Dragonfire Adept invocations or Incarnum classes. Which I dig.

EDIT: I just looked over the Ranger again. Adding the Ranger spell list to a Monk sounds pretty balanced. The idea of persisting a handful of spells seems a flavorful option, offsetting the full BAB and animal companion/mount the Ranger and Paladin each get.

Just looking at the Players Handbook for Ranger spells, as a level 20 Monk having access to 3 spells at each of the four spell levels, I'd Persist:
-Freedom of Movement
-Tree Stride
-Nondetection
-Greater Magic Fang
-Darkvision
-Water Walk
-Protection from Energy
-Owls Wisdom
-Bear's Endurance
-Longstrider
-Resist Energy
-Speak With Animals

...and still not be that much more powerful than a well built Warlock, which gets 12 invocations at level 20. Definitely more reasonable then DMM CoDzilla.

You'd probably need to get particular about the parameters of which spells are persistable. "Only those that are range-personal" or "Duration longer than instantaneous" or something. A 24 hour Commune with Nature likely wouldn't work, a 24 hour Dispel Magic would be too much. A 24 hour Greater Magic Fang would be perfect.

I like it. This is probably the first Monk "fix" that's caught my attention, however I need to add the disclaimer that I'm not very good with Homebrew balance, so others may have a more educated opinion.

Last edited:

Empath Negative

First Post
It would also make monks much more adaptable and given the sheer breadth of the paladin/ranger spell lists its easy to see one monk having very different fringe aspects. It would also dramatically. Increase the importance of wisdom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

kitcik

Adventurer
As a monk enthusiast, I agree with [MENTION=6674868]RUMBLETiGER[/MENTION]

this is intriguing.

I would give them this + full BAB (and proficiency in unarmed strike, for those obsessed with RAW!) and call it a day.

good idea.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
As a monk enthusiast, I agree with @RUMBLETiGER

this is intriguing.

I would give them this + full BAB (and proficiency in unarmed strike, for those obsessed with RAW!) and call it a day.

good idea.
I usually think a Monk fix should start with full BAB, but with all these nifty boosts to choose from including persistent Magic Fang/Greater Magic Fang from the Ranger list or Divine Favor/Greater Magic Weapon from the Paladin list, I think the Monk is ok as is with fair BAB.

kitcik

Adventurer
I usually think a Monk fix should start with full BAB, but with all these nifty boosts to choose from including persistent Magic Fang/Greater Magic Fang from the Ranger list or Divine Favor/Greater Magic Weapon from the Paladin list, I think the Monk is ok as is with fair BAB.

That stuff won't stack with an enhancement bonus from, say, a Necklace of Natural Attacks.

Under this scenario, they will still have their useless / cross-purposed class abilities and inability to wear armor / MAD.

Compare the Ranger to the "Monk with persisted Ranger spells."

IMHO, they still need BAB to be as effective as the better melee classes.

Remove ads