• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk PHB Ninja CAd

gorfnab

First Post
From the FAQ p.9
Does the Armor Class bonus ability from the monk,
swordsage, and ninja stack?

No, each of these abilities provides the same bonus. You are not able to benefit from multiple sources that have the same name more then once.

i just noticed where it says that they don't stack, but if i use the Kung Fu Genius feat in Dragn Magazine 319 that uses int instead of wisdom for it's
class abilities normally based on Wisdom.​

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
That FAQ is poorly worded. The levels in each class should stack for determining that part of the AC bonus, but you shouldn't get the wisdom bonus twice. The way the FAW worded it could lead peopel to think the two don't stack AT ALL...

Jhaelen

First Post
i just noticed where it says that they don't stack, but if i use the Kung Fu Genius feat in Dragn Magazine 319 that uses int instead of wisdom for it's
class abilities normally based on Wisdom.​
And that's why few DMs allow stuff from Dragon since it tends to be poorly thought out ;)

To turn the feat into something that isn't broken it would have to say that it changes Armor Class bonus abilities from any source to use Int instead of Wis.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Alternative viewpoint: A "broken" trick that requires a feat, two subpar classes, and AT LEAST four ability score dependencies (dex, con, wis, and int, and quite frankly I'm not sure completely ignoring str is a wise decision, either) isn't particularly broken, and any qell built caster will still be far more broken than you.

pawsplay

Hero
I was wondering if the Player's Handbook Monk classes AC bonus from wisdom stacks with the Complete Adventurer Ninja classes AC bonus from wisdom.

No. Named bonuses do not stack. The bonus's name is "Wisdom." Say it with me: Wisdom, bonus. ;)

As far as substititing Int for Wis or whatever, it would depend on how exactly the substitution was written. "You can use your Int bonus to AC instead of your Wis bonus" would actually not stack, since you would still be adding Wis (with Int acting in its stead). But "You can add your Int bonus to AC rather than your Wis bonus" could conveivably lead to a stacking situation. In that case, you would want to read the ability closely to see if it refers to using your Wis bonus, or whether it specifies you are modifying a class ability.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
You can't apply the ability bonus twice -- the ninja class writeup in Complete Adventurer explicitly says so. Doesn't matter whether you can get the ability changed.

As far as the "extra" bonus derived from the class ability (the one appearing in both class tables), I'm with Stream in thinking you should allow levels of monk and ninja to stack to determine what that is.

Remove ads