• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk question

Ranger5

First Post
Not sure if this has been asked before and if so my apologies. I have checked the FAQ as well as did a couple different Google searches and did not find an answer.

Anyway, say as a first level monk, I do not take the Stunning Fist feat. When can I take the feat? And in what capacity do I use the feat - as a non-monk or as a monk?

Thanks in advance.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I have never heard this question asked, so it's not surprising you did not find an answer. :)

The monk can take the feat whenever a feat is available. If not using the 1st-level bonus feat, then at any time you get a general feat (3rd-level, 6th-level, 1st-level human bonus feat, etc.).

You are a monk, so you use it as a monk. From the following quote, I would not equate "A monk who selects this feat..." with requiring "A monk who selects this feat as her bonus feat at first level...."
SRD said:
A monk may select Stunning Fist as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. A monk who selects this feat may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to her monk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels she has in classes other than monk.

Sejs

First Post
If you don't take Stunning Fist as your 1st lvl monk bonus feat, then you need to meet the normal pre-reqs for it.

Namely a +8 bab, and a dex/wis of 13+.

If you're a straight monk, you'll be 11th level before you can take the feat on your own.

Ranger5

First Post
Sejs said:
If you don't take Stunning Fist as your 1st lvl monk bonus feat, then you need to meet the normal pre-reqs for it.

Namely a +8 bab, and a dex/wis of 13+.

If you're a straight monk, you'll be 11th level before you can take the feat on your own.

Say this is the correct answer (though I am still not totally convinced - my guess is it is going to be a DMs call), anyway, so I can then take Stunning Fist at 12th level (as a straight-up monk), how do I use it - as a non-monk (1 per 4 levels) or as a monk (1 per monk level)?

Ranger5

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I have never heard this question asked, so it's not surprising you did not find an answer. :)

The monk can take the feat whenever a feat is available. If not using the 1st-level bonus feat, then at any time you get a general feat (3rd-level, 6th-level, 1st-level human bonus feat, etc.).

You are a monk, so you use it as a monk. From the following quote, I would not equate "A monk who selects this feat..." with requiring "A monk who selects this feat as her bonus feat at first level...."

I can see this too but I can see the arguement the other way as well. If you don't take it as the bonus feat, then you have to take it as the regular feat. However, that doesn't make much sense either.

Personally I think the monk bonus feats should be treated like fighter bonus feats but the same freedom that monks get. Basically, a monk gets to choose from the list of bonus feats whenever he gets a bonus feat but they can also be taken whenever he gets a General feat.

I don't see this as game-breaking but as all things I'm sure it could be abused. ;)

Azrael

First Post
The benefit of taking monk bonus feats is that they do not have to meet the pre-requisites of the feats. Though I agree they would have to meet the pre-reqs if choosing them as normal feats. Fighters get more flexibility in their choice of bonus feats but have to meet the pre-reqs for them.

Having said that, Unearthed Arcana has some variant martial arts styles where you can take different bonus feats for the monk and some of them are pretty cool.

sithramir

First Post
I definitely agree it's taken as a normal feat and you have to meet the pre-requisites at this point so you can't get it until 11th level minimum.

How you treat the feat is a tough call. I'd say "by the rules" since you took it as a normal feat you treat it as if you're any other class for times per day. Basically, if you take it as a monk bonus feat then you don't need to meet pre-requisites AND get to use it more often and at the DC indicated. That's why you want to take it at first level. However, if I was the DM i'd make you still meet pre-requisites but still allow the normal rules for a monk having the feat. I don't think there can be a definitive answer to this so i'd say it's DM call on how it's treated but that you definitely need to meet any pre-requisites to get it if you don't get it as a bonus feat.

ken-ichi

First Post
If you don't take the feat as your 1st level monk bonus feat, then you must possess the prerequisites. The first sentence of the Special entry states that a monk does not have to meet the prereqs if they take this feat as their 1st level bonus feat.

As for number of uses, it does not matter when you take it. If you note the uses per day in the normal it states to check the Special section. In the special section it clarifys that a monk level grants you an extra use of the attack instead of the normal 1/4 use of the attack.

Remove ads