• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Rules Question

htetickrt

First Post
As the player and DM of a soon-to-be 17th level monk, I was wondering what exact ability the tongue of the sun and the moon was meant to grant. More precisely, is it meant to be:

1) Just like an upper-planar being's Tongues ability, allowing him to speak with any creature with a language?

2) Just like some combination of tongues, speak with animals, and/or speak with plants? (If so, what combination?)

3) Exactly what it sounds like, i.e. the monk can speak with ALL living things. Presumably he'd enjoy the long chats with the parameciums.

Any help would be most appreciated.

While I'm asking questions, I'd also appreciate anyone's telling me where to find the magic weapon qualities that allow the weapon to mimic other materials (cold iron, etc.), and/or change size, and/or change type.

Thanks!

Pax

Banned
Banned
I'd say either 1 or 3. Personal preference, 1.

There are to my knowledge only one magic enhancement for weapon that mimics a material ("Truesilver", a +1 enhancement found in Ghostwalk, which adds silver to teh weapon). Within WOTC sources, anyway.

For changing size and type, I can't say I've ever heard of such an ability, that I can recall.

Otterscrubber

First Post
Sounds like #2 to me actually. Any living creature, implies animals as well from a dictionary definition of the word creature at least.. Plants? Not so sure, I'd leave it up to the DM. The speak with plants spell seems to indicate that even normal plants can communicate if you have the ability (magical or otherwise) to do so. Don't know if you'd call it a language though. As far as microscopic creatures go, I'd limit it to creatures that the monk can actually perceive to keep things from getting ridiculous, even by D&D standards :)

In fact I ran an adventure where I had the party monk go through a series of tests to earn some brownie points with the local monastery. One of the final tests was for him to get the name of a cow by asking the cow. Seemed like that would work from the wording of the ability in the PHB.

htetickrt

First Post
Whoa, thanks for the quick responses!

I also was leaning toward 2, but, playing the monk in question, I'm biased. Surely someone has clarified this with an official ruling by now. Or is it just that not enough people play monks for that long? :)

Vysirez

First Post
About the weapon enchantment, there is an enchantment in the WOTC Underdark book called metalline or something like that. It allows you to change the type of material the weapon is made of once per round as a free action. I think at least, there also may be some other enchantments in there for the size stuff. I can't remember for sure. I don't happen to have the book, just heard it mentioned.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Vysirez said:
About the weapon enchantment, there is an enchantment in the WOTC Underdark book called metalline or something like that. It allows you to change the type of material the weapon is made of once per round as a free action. I think at least, there also may be some other enchantments in there for the size stuff. I can't remember for sure. I don't happen to have the book, just heard it mentioned.

Yes, underdark has one for metal type (metalline), one for size (sizing), and one for weapon type (morphing). It has even a weapon (Everchanging Blade), which can become any single +1 weapon the wielder desires.

htetickrt

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Yes, underdark has one for metal type (metalline), one for size (sizing), and one for weapon type (morphing). It has even a weapon (Everchanging Blade), which can become any single +1 weapon the wielder desires.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Artoomis

First Post
"Any living creature" means any living creature, not every living thing.

So; what's a "creature?"

I'm not sure that the term "creature" is well-defined, but it seems to me to include, at a minumum, every animal and everything in the monster manual, et. al.

Of course, some may not be able communicate effectively, like mindless constructs, for example.

I don't think this would include ordinary plants, though.

So I guess I choose number 2, Tongues and Speak with Animals, mostly. If a plant has intelligence, though, I'd call that a creature, too, even if it would take Speak with Plants to talk to it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads