• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monk/Sorceror

was

Adventurer
Looking to build a Monk/Sorceror (dragon) combo. Thinking of a monastery built around the teachings of a good or neutral aligned-dragon. Is this viable? What problems should I look out for?

was

Adventurer
Looking to build a character that can back up other party members. Not as the primary fighter, caster or rogue but as a decent backup at all three roles. So if a player doesn't show, the party isn't lacking at that position.

Paraxis

Explorer
You do understand that draconic resistance and unarmed defense don't stack right. One sets your AC to 13+Dex mod, the other sets your AC to 10+dex mod+wis mod, you would only use the highest.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Monk and sorcerer both lack the ability to heal others, so neither class is good at the "decent backup of all roles" role. Bard or Paladin would be, though. Bard in particular. You can choose the Acolyte background to fit your theme.

was

Adventurer
You do understand that draconic resistance and unarmed defense don't stack right. One sets your AC to 13+Dex mod, the other sets your AC to 10+dex mod+wis mod, you would only use the highest.

I'm willing to give it an argument before the DM since the bonus comes from a natural form of AC (scales). It's reasonable enough that I would allow it my campaign. This new guy is a rules-light DM and not particularly enslaved to the RAW.

Monk and sorcerer both lack the ability to heal others, so neither class is good at the "decent backup of all roles" role. Bard or Paladin would be, though. Bard in particular. You can choose the Acolyte background to fit your theme.

I wasn't looking to back up the healer role, just the fighter, arcane caster and rogue.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Straight up Way of Four Elements monk, then. You can fight. You can thieve (high wis for detecting traps, high dex for disabling them), you can cast (spend KI for spell-like effects). Make sure to pick a Thieves Tools proficiency in your background.

Mixing with Sorcerer is a bad idea (from optimization standpoint) because the Sorcerer doesn't need wis, and monk doesn't need cha. And both monk and sorcerer reward full-classing and punish multi-classing: giving up monk levels costs you unarmed damage, KI, cool features, access to spell ppwers; giving up sorcerer levels costs you slots, spell levels, cool class features.

was

Adventurer
Yeah, I'll probably just go with the spellcasting fighter thing then instead then since apparently the fighter player is the one who misses the most sessions. It will only fill two of the roles, but it should work out okay. Thanks for your thoughts.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm willing to give it an argument before the DM since the bonus comes from a natural form of AC (scales). It's reasonable enough that I would allow it my campaign. This new guy is a rules-light DM and not particularly enslaved to the RAW.

That's not the issue. The issue is that both set your AC to specific values (the scales not being a bonus (such as a shield would be) but a new way to define AC), and the rules state when such happens you as a player decide which to use.

was

Adventurer
That's not the issue. The issue is that both set your AC to specific values (the scales not being a bonus (such as a shield would be) but a new way to define AC), and the rules state when such happens you as a player decide which to use.

...First, while I am not trying to be antagonistic, this discussion was over about two months ago. Previous posters have already made your point.

..Second, it was exactly the issue. We had already discussed that it was not in the RAW, but was subject to DM approval.

...Third, if you read the entire post you would have seen that I had decided not to pursue this option.

Yeah, I'll probably just go with the spellcasting fighter thing then instead then since apparently the fighter player is the one who misses the most sessions. It will only fill two of the roles, but it should work out okay. Thanks for your thoughts.

...Finally, this edition is all about variety and options. Hang the rules, if I can make an argument for it as a DM then I can approach a new DM with the idea. While he may not agree, and I can live with a no, it won't stop me from asking. The rules are a guideline, not a hammer.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads