• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Stuff! Give me monk stuff!

Kashell

First Post
In terms of the people here, I'm a relitivly new player to D&D (1 year) I was wondering what other monk items might come of great use to the monk?

As you know, monks don't ususally find the items they need. I think the easiest thing to find is a monks belt, and that is a whooping 16k gp.

At this point, my monk is an 8th level character. He has a cohort as well(bard) who is equipped with the Cloak of the Arachnid, and a heavy crossbow and a flute. My monk has a monk's belt and 20k gp to blow off.

I've already did a bit a research about a few monk items.

Sandles of the Tiger Leap,
Ring of Shocking,
Ki Straps.

I asked around Calthon's Point(the biggest city in the world) about these items. No-one new about them. I found a shadowdancer who told me about a monestery in the far west where the items could be 'earned'.

Also, our group has recently converted to 3.5 from 3.0. Are there any new rules for the Monk's Belt?

So far as I understand it, the Monk's belt gives a monk ambidexterity and two weapon fighting, and haste 1/day.

Here he is..

Kashell (level 8 monk)
---------------

Str - 15
Dex - 20
Con - 12
Int - 10
Wis - 14
Cha - 12

HP 61
AC: 18(13 flat)

Saves:
Fort: +8
Ref: +12
Will: +7

Feats:
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Leadership
Deflect Arrows
Stunning Fist
Improved Trip
Evasion
Monk Fast Movement
Monk Slow Fall

Ranks:

Balance 9
Jump 3
Tumble 11
Move Silent 7
Swim 2
Hide 9
Escape Artist 9
Climb 9

And his cohort:

Karen (1st level Ex-Monk: Level 5 bard...Who just leveled up, so I can undo a level if you'd like...))
-----------------
Str - 12
Dex - 16
Con - 13
Int - 14
Wis - 14
Cha - 16

AC: 15
HP: 27/27

Saves:
Ref: +10
Fort: +4
Will: +10

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Skill Focus(Perform)
Dragonsong
Bardic Knowledge
Improved Unarmed Attack
Stunning Fist
Monk AC Bonus

Skill Ranks:
Tumble 7
Concentration 5
Spot 4
Perform 9
Bluff 7
Disable Device 7
Swim 7
Move Silten 7
Disguise 7
Knowledge Arcana 5
Sense Motive 1
Anyone got any suggestions?

babomb

First Post
Kashell said:
Also, our group has recently converted to 3.5 from 3.0. Are there any new rules for the Monk's Belt?

So far as I understand it, the Monk's belt gives a monk ambidexterity and two weapon fighting, and haste 1/day.

In 3.5, Monk's Belt gives you AC bonus and unarmed damage as a monk 5 levels higher. It also gives you one extra stunning fist per day. It does not give Two Weapon Fighting (in 3.5, Ambidexterity is included in TWF) or haste.

Any magic items that improve your AC would be nice:
Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2,000 GP) or +2 (8,000 GP)
Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4,000 GP)
Periapt of Wisdom +2 (4,000 GP)
Dusty rose Ioun Stone (+1 Insight bonus to AC; 5,000 GP)
Deep red Ioun Stone (+2 enhancement to Dex; 8,000 GP)
Incandescent blue Ioun Stone (+2 enhancement to Wis; 8,000 GP)

You could also use some HP:
Amulet of Health +2 (4,000 GP)

If boosting your attacks is more what you had in mind, consider:
Amulet of Mighty Fists +1 (makes your fists +1 weapons; 6,000 GP)
Pale blue Ioun Stone (+2 enhancement to Str; 8,000 GP)
Gauntlets of Ogre Power (+2 enhancement to Str; 4,000 GP)

Also consider:
Boots of Striding and Springing (+10 base move, +5 to Jump; 5,500 GP)

Kashell

First Post
At level 9 I'm taking a tactical feat called "The Sun School" basically it does 3 things.

When you flurry and hit 2 times in a row, you can choose to push your opponent back 5 feet and take a free 5 ft. step to continue the flurry.

When you stunning fist and hit the same target and successfully stun it twice, they also become confused for 1d4 rounds.

When you appear next to an opponent(as per dimension door or abundant step) you get a free attack of opportunity.

I might take weapon finesse later, but I think that from here on I'll be improving Wis. (better stunning fist/AC/Will save)

Thanks for the advise so far!

Terwox

First Post
the 4k +2 stat boosting items. good stuff, there.
eh, there's always potions, too, don't forget those... glibness (if you ever need to lie,) jumping, invisibility, etc.
buy someone a wand of mage armor to use on you. that sort of thing.

schporto

First Post
Silly idea, but the boots of striding and springing. OK in 3.5 its really toned down, but will basically get you a +9 to any jump. In 3.0 where it would double your speed it was one of the single must have items. Monks didn't just benefit it made them nutty. We had a monk (15th lvl) jump a 40ft wall. Pretty scary.
-cpd

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads