• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Weapons

Psimancer

First Post
This may sound like a stupid question (and apologies if it has been asked a million times before) but what damage does a Monk do when using Monk Weapons; the Weapon’s damage or the Monk’s Unarmed Damage?

Lasher Dragon

First Post
The weapon's damage. This is why (especially at later levels) it's almost pointless for a monk to use weaponry. He will never get the kind of damage he can get unarmed.

The only time I use weaponry as a monk is when I am fighting something I'd rather not touch, such as a fire elemental or an ooze.

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Ah, you have located one of the blunders of WoTC regarding the monk class and their complete lack of feasible flexibility within the class, not just in multiclassing. :)

I guess the big change that 3.5 did that gives monks an advantage is that they are allowed to, within their attacks, interchange weapon strikes and unarmed strikes FREELY. This is something that many players probably do not take advantage of.

So, say your monk, with flurry of blows, had 3 attacks at +9/9/6

Your first attack could be with the kama at 9, your next attack a kick at 9, and then your next attack another kama strike again, or another unarmed strike.

A strategy you could use with that is to give enchanted monk items that give you defensive bonuses of some sort. Like one of those "Defending" weapons where you take the enhancement bonus and add it to your AC instead of your AB in given arounds. So long as you're wielding the weapon, he can still use the item, and then throw your viscious kicks in at the same time.

Granted... all of this isn't a really big deal. A kama gives you a +2 to Trip, so you trip on +9, get the free attack (smash em with a kick), then do something nasty like Stunning Fist them the next round (or you probably can't, so just kick em again) and then... uh yeah, kick em again. :)

The only monk weapon that is entirely useless is the quarterstaff, and perhaps the siangham, since both weapons do not provide a bonus in any sort of maneuver the monk does.

Doctor Shaft said:
I guess the big change that 3.5 did that gives monks an advantage is that they are allowed to, within their attacks, interchange weapon strikes and unarmed strikes FREELY. This is something that many players probably do not take advantage of.

That's not a 3.5 change. It was in 3.0, as well.

The only monk weapon that is entirely useless is the quarterstaff, and perhaps the siangham, since both weapons do not provide a bonus in any sort of maneuver the monk does.

Quarterstaff is useless?

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Well, sure. Why would you ever use the quarterstaff over, say a kama, or your unarmed strike.

You could use one end and get a 1.5 str. instead of 1X str. bonus. But... it has no bonuses to any action, it's big, you can't sneak in with it, and you might as well just club a person with your hands.

My opinion on that matter.

And, I figured i was wrong somewhere with the 3.0-3.5 thing. :)

Doctor Shaft said:
Well, sure. Why would you ever use the quarterstaff over, say a kama, or your unarmed strike.

It's innocuous. Sure, it's hard to hide, but everybody and their brother has a walking stick of some sort, so you don't have to hide it.

It's a double weapon, meaning you can get each side enhanced to taste, and always have both sides in-hand. It's faster to draw / ready than two kamas (or any other two-weapon combination).

There are some great staff-fighting feats - ones that prevent flanking when fighting defensively, etc.

It's certainly not the be-all and end-all of weapons, but I think it's far from useless. ;)

pbd

First Post
I know there is feat somehwere that allows you to add a selecetd weapon to your list of mok weapons (sword specifically maybe?). Can anyone tell what the feat is called and what it is from?

Much apprecaited,
pbd

pbd said:
I know there is feat somehwere that allows you to add a selecetd weapon to your list of mok weapons (sword specifically maybe?). Can anyone tell what the feat is called and what it is from?

There are a couple in Eberron. They are called, I think, Whirling Steel Strike, Serpent Strike, and ... one other.

They allow you to treat a double-bladed sword, longspear, and longsword as monk weapons, respectively.

Each requires at least Weapon Focus in the appropriate weapon.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A monk might use weapons for the same reason any character might carry more than one weapon - contingencies may arise that require them. A monk's unarmed strikes might eventually be counted as magic, lawful, and adamantine, but they aren't ghosttouch. That would certainly come in handy against incorporeal foes.

A magic weapon might also have a power the monk happens to like using, including a magic bonus to hit that won't be available with his unarmed attacks (short of using spells like Magic Weapon).

RigaMortus

Explorer
Can't you also use a Quarterstaff as a 2handed weapon? Allowing you to get 1.5 Str bonus to damage? Also getting +2 for -1 if you have power attack?

Remove ads