• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MonkeyGod Presents Adventures: Good?

Monkey King

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
Wolfgang, why is your screen name Monkey King. Did you have anything to do with Monkey God or is there some other story behind the name? Inquiring minds wish to know. :)

I am in no way associated with Monkey God, though their name makes me smile every time I see it.

I started using it as a screen name when I started blogging about game design and books back in... 2002? Whenever that was. I was reading "Journey to the West" at the time, and learned enough about the Monkey King to want to be him. He's more fun than most mythological figures.

So the name stuck, basically. The Monkey King blog is still active, FWIW.

Meds

First Post
I was very happy with "All The King's Men", even at full price ($12).

It's a tightly scripted mystery. Great plotline, charcterful characters, Shakespearean flavor. (Nicholas Logue's adventure in this month's Dungeon -- 'Swords of Dragonslake' I think? -- reminded me a lot of this one.) Perhaps a few editing issues (spoiler warning), but nothing significant enough to detract from a great adventure IMHO.

Ghostwind said:
Song of Storms is really good. It was nominated for an ENnie award for Best Adventure if I remember right.
I'll also second the recommendation for "Song of Storms" -- it was indeed ENnie nominated.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
I have most of them in PDF already (got 'em a few months ago at another sale), and I wrote a review of Hellstone Deep, which I have in print as well as Black Ice Well.

I think the BIW-HSD high level pairing can work really well, and they are VERY difficult adventures. I read through them both but have not had a chance to run them yet.

No real idea about the other ones though, I got them to mine for ideas and await an appearance. My PCs are currently 5th level and I may queue them up for a Necro module for now, but we'll see. I always wanted to run Black Ice Well so I am saving that for later in the campaign.

jeffh

Adventurer
Well, I just picked up Shadows Under Thessaline, Black Ice Well, Song of Storms, Maze of Screaming Silence and All The King's Men, based in large part on what was written here. (I've already forgotten why I picked Maze, exactly, and it was only a few hours ago :p .) I doubt I'll get a chance to look at them until the sale is way over, though. But heck, at that price, if there's so much as a stealable map in any given adventure you've done pretty well.

Soel

First Post
talien said:
Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Concerning Dancing Hut, is this a revamp of the old 2e module (which from all accounts I have heard of is not so good.) Any more info is welcome, as the description sounded more like a political intrigue adventure that the totally random 2e Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga.

Fishbone

First Post
I just got Black Ice Well as it was a meaty 70+ page adventure with unique creatures in it. I figured if I could get just one night out of it in the future it'd be all worth it. Hell, just as an entertaining story it paid for itself several times over. One question, though: Who cleared this as an appropriate adventure for a group of players in the low double digits? Thats just absurd. The BBEG is a CR 24 demon for crying out loud! Everything seems kosher, ECL challenge ratings a little high though, and then WHAM! Assuming the party survived the grindfest that the module looks like it is in full condition the end is just a total buttkicking. The adventure as it is could use a few different creatures and it would be a perfect segue...
Into an 18th level story arc!
Edit:Hellstone Deep is awesome but statements like a less than 20th level weakened party standing a shot against a Half Red Dragon Solar are just ludicrous. I'd start this module at late 19 or early 20 and be very loose with builds and gear. Its an effing killer!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads