• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks and 2 weapon fighting

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
hazmat said:
Is it possible to split up your flurry attacks b/t two different weapons.

"She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired."

If you have a kama in one hand, a nunchaku in the other, and four attacks in your flurry, you could hit:
- four times with your kama, or
- twice with your nunchaku and twice with an unarmed strike,
- or once with your kama, once with your nunchaku, once with your unarmed strike, drop your nunchaku, and throw a shuriken, or...

Well, you get the picture. As long as every attack is an unarmed strike or special monk weapon, you're fine.

-Hyp.

Aristotle

First Post
The flurry attacks can be with any weapon, but the extra attacks taken from two weapon fighting are specifically taken with the "off hand weapon". Right?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Aristotle said:
The flurry attacks can be with any weapon, but the extra attacks taken from two weapon fighting are specifically taken with the "off hand weapon". Right?

With domino's caveat above, right.

Essentially, the flurry does not recognise the existence of an 'off-hand'. The kama in your right hand, the sai in your left hand, your right elbow, your left foot, your forehead... to the flurry, they're all just 'weapon'.

From memory, the FAQ suggests that if you are making off-hand attacks via the TWF rules, then that weapon is unavailable in the flurry, but I don't think that's supported...

-Hyp.

sukael

First Post
Something I keep wondering, and I figure it fits under this topic--

Can a monk two-weapon fight using only unarmed strikes?

For example: could a first-level monk with TWF use unarmed strike as both primary and off-hand weapon, and then use flurry of blows with the primary strike, ending up with three unarmed strikes at -4 each? ("...this attack takes a –2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round...", so the flurry of blows penalty would apply to off-hand attacks also.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
sukael said:
Something I keep wondering, and I figure it fits under this topic--

Can a monk two-weapon fight using only unarmed strikes?

For example: could a first-level monk with TWF use unarmed strike as both primary and off-hand weapon, and then use flurry of blows with the primary strike, ending up with three unarmed strikes at -4 each? ("...this attack takes a –2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round...", so the flurry of blows penalty would apply to off-hand attacks also.)

The FAQ seems to think so.

But the PHB notes "There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed."

-Hyp.

BAW

First Post
Hmmmm....

On a similar theme, if slightly off topic. How many times would you have to cast greater magic weapon on a monk to make all his unarmed strikes magical?

Nifelhein

First Post
Well, sure he does threaten all that area... that is why in Midnight I will one day do a Giantblooded Defender... beware the killing machine with a 20ft reach.... ;)

As for the monk and the off hand thing, it surely does rise some problems huh... I don't care for the exact rule naming a secondary attack also does not take the full str bonus, so would use two weapon fighting because I don't want a mionk to get multiweapon fighting and strike with say, all his memebers, his head, elbows and knees simply because they are all nearly the same, because he has "no off hand attack".

As for flurry and TWF, that is no big deal in my opinion, you can always make a monk choose one attacka s his primary or just take the first one as being it.

Remove ads