• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk's Belt help

BAW

First Post
Okay, this question is a little odd, but could have big implications for those that like to munch. Read the following sections taken from the DMG and PHB respectively:

Belt, Monk’s: This simple rope belt, when wrapped around a character’s waist, confers great ability in unarmed combat. The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher. If donned by a character with the Stunning Fist feat, the belt lets her make one additional stunning attack per day. If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

Can a character who isn't a monk, but fights with the same restrictions, use the belt to gain Wis+1 AC bonus or just the +1 AC bonus?

Cheers,
B.A.W.

Last edited:

BAW

First Post
Thanks

Cheers for clearing that up guys. It just felt that 13k for such an item was a very low price.
Hmmmmmm, if belts remain when a druid is wild shaped-could be a good way to up their ac...
:lol:
Once again, thanks!
BAW

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't believe that is the intent. I believe the intent is that you just get the +1 AC.

Otherwise it's not really a Monk's Belt, it's the "Overpower the divine caster" belt.

Druid's become absolutely broken with one of those and a wilding clasp.

Caliban said:
I don't believe that is the intent. I believe the intent is that you just get the +1 AC.

I believe that's wrong.

Otherwise it's not really a Monk's Belt, it's the "Overpower the divine caster" belt.

No, it's a "You're not allowed to wear any armor, and put down that shield, and here's about half of that back as an unnamed AC bonus" belt.

Druid's become absolutely broken with one of those and a wilding clasp.

Isn't that really just saying that wilding clasps are broken?

monboesen

Explorer
I, too, am a firm believer of the +1AC approach. A 13k item giving potentially +4-7 AC (for druids) is just too good. And I don't even see the need of a wilding clasp. Many animals could be fitted with a belt. I also don't like the fact that it gives a wildly varying AC bonus for a fixed price.

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

Quote from Alter self.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
monboesen said:
I, too, am a firm believer of the +1AC approach. A 13k item giving potentially +4-7 AC (for druids) is just too good.
Thirded. That'd be far too cheap.

Remove ads