• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk's Belt + Wildshape + Wilding Clasp

nittanytbone

First Post
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how these factors interact. Due to the wilding clasp, the item will work all the time.

Belt, Monk’s

This simple rope belt, when wrapped around a character’s waist, confers great ability in unarmed combat. The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher. If donned by a character with the Stunning Fist feat, the belt lets her make one additional stunning attack per day. If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.

AC Bonus - That's easy!
WIS to AC + 1; Doesn't stack with armor.

Unarmed Damage
Unarmed damage = 1d8

This one is thornier. In normal form, making an unarmed attack still provokes an AoO if the character doesn't have the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. Easy enough.

What about while in wild shape? Wild shaped druids can use their natural attacks without provoking AoO. Can they make an unarmed strike as well?

Could they make an unarmed strike as part of a full attack in addition to using natural weapons?

Would the monk use normal natural weapon damage for the critter's form in question (say, a claw/claw/bite for 1d6/1d6/1d10), or would they use the monk's unarmed strike damage?

Thanks!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
nittanytbone said:
What about while in wild shape? Wild shaped druids can use their natural attacks without provoking AoO. Can they make an unarmed strike as well?

Certainly, but without the feat, they'll provoke an AoO still. Note that if the form they're in has reach, they might be able to avoid an AoO by making their unarmed strike from an unthreatened square.

Could they make an unarmed strike as part of a full attack in addition to using natural weapons?

Yes, but the natural weapons are all considered secondary: -5 (or -2 with Multiattack) to attack rolls, and half Str bonus.

Would the monk use normal natural weapon damage for the critter's form in question (say, a claw/claw/bite for 1d6/1d6/1d10), or would they use the monk's unarmed strike damage?

Unarmed strike damage of a monk of the appropriate size category.

The claws deal claw damage, the bite deals bite damage, and the unarmed strike deals unarmed strike damage.

-Hyp.

nittanytbone

First Post
Thanks, Hyp!

So, a druid with a Monk's Belt, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Multiattack could be quite fearsome in straight up melee...

I inquire as I'm trying to build a blighter villain that isn't totally useless. The only thing Blighter's get out of their former druid levels is BAB/saves/feats/skills, so I'm trying to find ways to spend those feats effectively!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads