• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks, staffs, and superior implements

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
If staffs count as quarterstaffs does that mean a monk can use a superior implement staff?

Can a monk enchant a superior implement staff as a weapon?

DracoSuave

First Post
If staffs count as quarterstaffs does that mean a monk can use a superior implement staff?

Can a monk enchant a superior implement staff as a weapon?

Yes. All staffs can be used as weapons that a monk is proficient in, and therefore can be used as implements by a monk (with the right feat.)

As for the second, yes, a superior staff implement can be enchanted as a weapon because it IS a weapon, by the same logic that a light blade implement can be enchanted as a weapon.

That being said, my understanding is that the superior effects only affect implement attacks, not weapon attacks. I don't have the book handy, but I don't think an accurate staff will hit better as a weapon. Which is odd, especially for monks. He can hit easily on his turn with an implement power, but if he makes an OA, it's less accurate because it's a weapon power.

DracoSuave

First Post
That being said, my understanding is that the superior effects only affect implement attacks, not weapon attacks. I don't have the book handy, but I don't think an accurate staff will hit better as a weapon. Which is odd, especially for monks. He can hit easily on his turn with an implement power, but if he makes an OA, it's less accurate because it's a weapon power.

It won't, no.

But weapon enchantments work with his implement powers, so combining the two is a win for the monk. He might prefer a weapon enchantment to a ki-focus or staff implement enchantment for whatever reason.

What it does to a non-psionic attack doesn't break me versimilitude, given that it's his psionic power the implement bolsters only.

Benlo

First Post
Quickbeam, Accurate, or Guardian Staff would be quite nice on a Monk. Quickbeam because of helping a Monk manipulate the battlefield a little more, with moves like Crane's Wings or Drunken Monkey. The other two, the benefits are a little more obvious, with Guardian Staff really helping them stay out of trouble and Accurate making them that much more deadly. I'm more or less stating the obvious, but still, not bad options for a Monk at all.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I'll probably have my (eventual) monk carry a staff of ruin. I'll get excellent damage and still be able to take advantage of the hafted defense and staff fighting feats.

Enclave

First Post
Yes. All staffs can be used as weapons that a monk is proficient in, and therefore can be used as implements by a monk (with the right feat.)

Quick question. Monks are proficient in Quarterstaffs right? So doesn't that mean that they can use a staff as an implement since they can use any weapon their proficient in as an implement? So why would a Monk require "the right feat" to do this?

Mort_Q

First Post
Quick question. Monks are proficient in Quarterstaffs right? So doesn't that mean that they can use a staff as an implement since they can use any weapon their proficient in as an implement? So why would a Monk require "the right feat" to do this?

Monk's don't need a feat to use staff's as implements as I read it.

Victim

First Post
Actually, monks can use quarterstaves as implements. First of all, that's 2 handed only - so no Crashing Wave tech or Starblade Flurry.

A magic staff can be used as a quarterstaff, but the properties of the staff don't apply unless you're proficient with the staff implements. So the monk would only get the enhancement bonus (and the criticals, IIRC), not anything else.

If staffs and quarterstaves were actually equivalent, you couldn't use a Staff and Dual Implement Caster since quarterstaves are 2 handed weapons.

Enclave

First Post
If staffs and quarterstaves were actually equivalent, you couldn't use a Staff and Dual Implement Caster since quarterstaves are 2 handed weapons.

I thought they basically were equivalent, just when used as an implement they can be 1 handed but if you're using it 1 handed then you couldn't utilise it for something like a melee basic attack, or really any weapon power unless you started wielding it 2 handed.

So if what I've heard is correct, wouldn't that mean that a Monk using a staff as an implement would have to be wielding it 2 handed since they're utilising it with their weapon proficiency and not with an implement proficiency?

Bah, I've never liked the whole Quarterstaff/Staff stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads