• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks vs Adamantine DR

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
We have a situation in our group.

The players are a pretty well rounded group of 5, 13th level characters (Fighter, Hospitaller, Sorceror, Shadowdancer, Monk) who are trying to defeat two Iron Golems. They realized that they were not having much luck getting past the golem's 15/adamantium Damage Resistance, so decided that discretion would be the better part of valor, and got the heck out of dodge...

After confering with some sages as to what the vulnerabilities of Iron Golems would be, they are now getting ready to engage their foes once more.

The problem is with the Monk. Right now he is doing 3d8+4 damage with his fists (Monk's Belt and Amulet of Mauling). He could get some Monk weapon in adamantium, but then he would only be doing something like 1d6+4 dmg (although this would get him past the DR).

Can he get adamatine gauntlets? We're pretty sure that Monks can't use them.

It seems that a Scarab of Golembane would certainly do the trick, but it is a very specialized item that takes up his neck slot.

Any other options or suggestions?

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
The monk can't use gauntlets, they being simple weapons. He attacks with a -4 penalty for nonproficiency and can't flurry. You're better off with an adamantine kama, unless your group is willing to houserule the gauntlet thing. I suggest that, because the monk gets hosed enough as it is.

Otherwise, maybe have the party wizard research a spell called Golembane that gives the effects of a scarab of golembane for 1 round/level.

(edit)

Hmm...just looked up the price of the scarab. Just pick one up and go without the amulet of hurting squishy things with your fists for one combat. The scarab isn't that useful most of the time, but if you ever run into another golem...

DanMcS

Explorer
Laslo Tremaine said:
The players are a pretty well rounded group of 5, 13th level characters (Fighter, Hospitaller, Sorceror, Shadowdancer, Monk) who are trying to defeat two Iron Golems. They realized that they were not having much luck getting past the golem's 15/adamantium Damage Resistance, so decided that discretion would be the better part of valor, and got the heck out of dodge...

After confering with some sages as to what the vulnerabilities of Iron Golems would be, they are now getting ready to engage their foes once more.

The problem is with the Monk. Right now he is doing 3d8+4 damage with his fists (Monk's Belt and Amulet of Mauling). He could get some Monk weapon in adamantium, but then he would only be doing something like 1d6+4 dmg (although this would get him past the DR).

So, average damage of 3d8+4 is 17.5. 17.5-15 is 2.5. If you buy the adamantine monk weapon, your average damage is 7.5, which bypasses the DR completely.

Can he get adamatine gauntlets? We're pretty sure that Monks can't use them.

I would say no.

It seems that a Scarab of Golembane would certainly do the trick, but it is a very specialized item that takes up his neck slot.

Well, it does, but you don't have to wear it all the time, only when you know you're going to be fighting golems. And it's pretty cheap, I seem to recall.

Nice thing about golems, too, is that they don't heal naturally. If you can damage them in an attack and then retreat to heal up, you can wear them down.

Alternatively, don't buy anything for the monk, especially if you're short on cash. He can still provide flank or aid another bonuses for other characters, defend the spellcasters from the golems by getting in the way, disarm or sunder the golems' weapons, that kind of thing.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Your party is 13th-level, and a Scarab of Golembane is a mere 2500gp. I'd go with the scarab. Toss it in the party treasure after the battle for the next time a golem shows up.

As a DM, I wouldn't allow the gauntlets. I find the "monks are weak, so let's ignore all the rules about them" argument unconvincing. Though perhaps your DM will feel differently.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Laslo Tremaine said:
He could get some Monk weapon in adamantium, but then he would only be doing something like 1d6+4 dmg (although this would get him past the DR).

Totally OT: X-Men fan? :D

Andargor

MichaelH

First Post
Laslo Tremaine said:
As luck would have it, the old sage remembers just such an item is rumored to be part of the lost treasure of the Mummy Lord ........... you get the idea. :cool:

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
MichaelH said:
As luck would have it, the old sage remembers just such an item is rumored to be part of the lost treasure of the Mummy Lord ........... you get the idea. :cool:

...and so our brave adventurers go off in search of the scarab. They face many trials, traps, and dangers in their search for the lost treasure. Many foul beasts are slain and treacherous traps overcome, and the party grows a little bit stronger with every trial they face. Eventually, they square off with the Mummy Lord himself, and in a dramatic battle, they slay the fiend, claiming his treasure. And just as they spot the item of their search, the coveted scarab of golembane, the monk suddenly says:

"Hey guys, I just levelled. I guess I don't need that scarab after all..."

Remove ads