• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks & Weapons & Powers, oh my

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A further puzzlement has arisen: Monks can use whatever weapon with which they are proficient as an implement.

Does that include weapons with which they are proficient due to race (like Dwarves), Feats, or being a Hybrid (who may have a LOT of WPs?

If so, a Hybrid Monk/Battlemind should be able to use something like a greatsword as an implement, yes? Which would then mean such a PC is being hindered by not getting to use his weapon's dice damage with certain powers.

IanB

First Post
Which would then mean such a PC is being hindered by not getting to use his weapon's dice damage with certain powers.

I dunno about that. Is a dwarf warlock with a pact warhammer "hindered" by not being able to use his weapon damage dice? The powers do what damage they do because they were designed to do that much, I don't really see how this enters into the question at all.

kaomera

Explorer
I dunno about that. Is a dwarf warlock with a pact warhammer "hindered" by not being able to use his weapon damage dice? The powers do what damage they do because they were designed to do that much, I don't really see how this enters into the question at all.
This. The Monk can use her weapon (any weapon she is proficient in, for any reason) for MBAs, and as an implement with Monk powers. Implement powers don't get [W], they do fixed damage, and they don't get a proficiency bonus. What's annoying (or at least a bit odd) is that there are no Superior Ki Focuses - a Monk might find it worthwhile to get an Accurate Staff (but would need to take the feat)... But, then again, something like a Quick Strike Ki Focus and a Fullblade is pretty awesome too...

Obryn

Hero
Which would then mean such a PC is being hindered by not getting to use his weapon's dice damage with certain powers.
Implements and Weapons do different things. I think Implements often get the short end of the stick, though the recent addition of Superior Implements mollifies this somewhat. While they aren't using their damage dice, monks frankly don't need to. If they wanted to be a weapon-primary class, they should either go with something else, or go Hybrid.

Honestly, monks have it a LOT better than any other implement-user out there because of their flexibility. Also, there promises to be a lot more feats for specific weapons, as there are now for clubs and spears.

-O

Mort_Q

First Post
Does FOB work with a Melee Basic Attack?

A MBA is an attack, so if you hit, yes. However, it must be a MBA you took on your turn, a standard action, or one granted by another players interrupt or reaction, not an OA or the like, as they don't occur on your turn.

sorry to be a bother.
Does the +1 ki club stack with Crashing Tempest Style?
Thank you

Crashing Tempest gives an untyped bonus, so it stacks with everything. The Ki weapon also gives an untyped bonus, and therefor stacks.

Tarrl

First Post
A MBA is an attack, so if you hit, yes. However, it must be a MBA you took on your turn, a standard action, or one granted by another players interrupt or reaction, not an OA or the like, as they don't occur on your turn.

Crashing Tempest gives an untyped bonus, so it stacks with everything. The Ki weapon also gives an untyped bonus, and therefor stacks.
Thank you very much Mort Q

I was amused that when designed in the Character Builder, my monk can use a Staff of the Traveler (an implement) as a quarterstaff (a weapon), which the monk class lets him use as an implement. So I can clearly use staff implements.

However, I am not considered proficient in staff implements for the purpose of the prerequisites for Superior Implement (Accurate Staff). Weird, eh?

Mika

First Post
Polearms are a type of weapon that a monk should seriously consider gaining proficiency with. All those powers with ranges of "Melee Weapon" gain greater ranges when used with Reach weapons.

Remove ads