• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks with weapons

suburbaknght

First Post
How do people feel about the following house rule:

Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike, use of monk weapon
If someone makes a full round attack action with a monk weapon they may sacrifice attacks at their lowest attack bonus to roll unarmed damage and add the result to a corresponding number of attacks with higher attack bonus.

Example 1: Ember (Str 14) has three attacks with a dagger at +11/+8/+5. She sacrficies her +5 attack and rolls two attacks, one at +11, one at +8. Both hit. Her +11 attack will do 1d4 (dagger) + 1d8 (unarmed) + 2 (Str) damage; her +8 attack will do 1d4 (dagger) + 2 (Str) damage.

Example 2: Now 20th level, Ember (Str 20) has 7 attacks with a quarterstaff (5 for monk, 1 for Flurry of Blows, one for two weapon fighting) at +20/+20/+20/+17/+14/+11/+8. She sacrifices the +14, +11, and +8 attacks. In addition to quarterstaff and strength damage on her three +20 attacks she will add 1d20 unarmed damage. The +17 attack will only do quarterstaff and strength damage.

SylverFlame

First Post
Eep. That's all that I can say. You want a monk to do increased damage by sacrificing their WORST attack bonus? Ugly. Very ugly.

EDIT: I don't mean to be an @$$ here. I was just saying that this would furthur unbalance the monk with the other core classes.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads