• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Attacks

karooba

First Post
A Pit Fiend with 30/+3 damage resistance can hit other creatures with /+3 DR using his natural weapons ... as if his weapons were magical.

Q1: So what about hitting an incorporeal creature that needs +1 or better? Can he hit one?

Q2: What about sundering magical weapons. A big bad Pit Fiend can't even damage a +1 magical weapon?

graydoom

First Post
Page 10 of the MM just makes the special exception that "For purposes of harming other creatures with damage reduction, a creature's natural weapons count as the type that ignores it owns innate damage reduction." Since that doesn't mention the natural weapons counting as +x for any other purpose, by a strict interpretation of the rules the answers are 1) No, and 2) Correct.
However, I would probably allow both, though I would have to think over number 1.

Mal-2

First Post
I agree with Greydoom, a strict reading of the rules says that neither of those things is allowed. I'd probably allow both of them though.

Hmm. A bit of further reading reveals that a monk's Ki Strike reads the same way. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable allowing them to do those things. I think I'll stick with the strict interpretation for now.

Mal-2

Remove ads