• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Charge

FrozenChrono

First Post
can monsters charge as a standard action? I can't seem to find any rules for this as lots of them don't have basic attacks listed. Most of it seems to be at will powers an a few have powers that specifically state that moving is a part of it.

knizia.fan

First Post
Hi, when a melee or ranged attack icon has a circle around it, that attack is the monster's basic melee or basic ranged attack.

The D&D minis game uses the same icons. See MM p. 7.

-- k.fan

FrozenChrono

First Post
Okay, in that section it says

"Monsters use their basic attacks when making opportunity
attacks or when using powers that allow a basic attack."

but it doesn't say if they can use them as a part of a charge action. Since there are enemies with a charge as a part of their abilities I'm wondering if that's because only certain enemies can charge or if it's just because those enemies are most prone to and just have specialized in it.

Zurai

First Post
Any monster can use any of the options listed from pages 286 to 292 in the PHB - except for Action Point (most monsters have none) and Second Wind (specifically mentioned that monsters/NPCs can't use it unless stated otherwise).

Jhaelen

First Post
FrozenChrono said:
Since there are enemies with a charge as a part of their abilities I'm wondering if that's because only certain enemies can charge or if it's just because those enemies are most prone to and just have specialized in it.
If there's a specific attack, then the monster is better at charging than it would be if it just used the standard charge attack option.

Remove ads