• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Fluff

Starsunder

Explorer
I was looking over my MM 1&2 today, and I got to thinking that one of the only things that I have a problem about 4e is the amount of monster fluff we have...or dont have actually.

A couple things; I know that some people say that the "Fluff" books are where you get all the good monster history at, books like Draconomicon, Open Grave, and the upcoming Demonomicon (which I am greatly looking forward too btw), or on D&D Insider (which I am a subscriber to). These people say that MM's are for crunch, and they can make up their own fluff if needed.

That's cool. I get it.

But for my money, I'd loooooove to see MM3 have a good deal more fluff. I personally dont really want to have to fluff out my monsters, generally speaking. If MM3 is 90% crunch, and 10% fluff, then why do I need it when im an insider and have access to the Monster Builder?

Now, im not neccesarily advocating going back to 2e's complete ecology, history, habitat, quirks, foibles, etc. approach (although I did spend countless joy filled hours just reading the monster entries), but something more would be appreciated:)

Ok, I needed to say that. Sorry if it was rant-like, I didnt really mean for it to be; I love me some 4e.

P.S Despite my semi-rant on lack of fluff, I still intend on getting MM3 and all of the monster specific books.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I am pretty happy with the amount of fluff in the MM. I would like to see a couple more things, though.

1. Environment. Where they normally hang out.

2. Some numbers that tell you how many normally live in a lair, and what they're made up of.

eg. A typical goblin lair is made up of 1d6x10 combat-ready goblins and that same number of cutters. Half this number is made up of goblin warriors; the rest is split evenly between sharpshooters, blackblades, and acolytes of Maglubiyet. For every 10 combat-ready goblins there is a hexer with two bodyguards (skullcleavers) and an underboss. Larger tribes may be ruled by hobgoblins, bugbears, or other creatures.

Barcode

First Post
Yeah, for the record, I think the MM and MM2 hit the right balance. I like the tactical advice especially, since tactics are a weak spot for me. More background fluff, at the expense of more monsters, would diminish the value of the book for me.

Starsunder

Explorer
I am pretty happy with the amount of fluff in the MM. I would like to see a couple more things, though.

1. Environment. Where they normally hang out.

2. Some numbers that tell you how many normally live in a lair, and what they're made up of.

eg. A typical goblin lair is made up of 1d6x10 combat-ready goblins and that same number of cutters. Half this number is made up of goblin warriors; the rest is split evenly between sharpshooters, blackblades, and acolytes of Maglubiyet. For every 10 combat-ready goblins there is a hexer with two bodyguards (skullcleavers) and an underboss. Larger tribes may be ruled by hobgoblins, bugbears, or other creatures.

This would be a nice start. I like this.

Yeah, for the record, I think the MM and MM2 hit the right balance. I like the tactical advice especially, since tactics are a weak spot for me. More background fluff, at the expense of more monsters, would diminish the value of the book for me.

Well, I agree about the tactical advice. Thats always good. I disagree (clearly haha) about the fluff, especially since MM2 was what, like 60 pages shorter than MM1? Plenty of room for fluff at no expense of the monsters. Again, not asking for 2e amounts, just more.

Scribble

First Post
Of all the books in the game, as the DM the Monster Manuals are the ones I'm most likely to pull out during the game and flip through for info. Because of this I want to be able to get to the info I need quickly, and unfortunatly a lot of flavor gets in the way of that.

Now... That said, I LOVE flavor. I think it's a very important part of the game. So I'm happy with it being in places like Dragon, and other books that I'll more then likely be reading when I have more time on my hands.

I also like that what flavor DOES make it into the MM is set up in a table useful way. (IE knowledge checks.)

Shemeska

Adventurer
INow, im not neccesarily advocating going back to 2e's complete ecology, history, habitat, quirks, foibles, etc. approach

I would :)

I've never been inspired by crunch and numbers, and at the end of the day, that's what I find to be worth my money: inspiration and ideas for me to riff off of in my own games. Without some well written fluff to accompany a monster, I see little incentive to pay money for it. The first 4e MM in that regard was the exact opposite of what I would look for - it barely even had descriptions of the monsters in question.

Starsunder

Explorer

I've never been inspired by crunch and numbers, and at the end of the day, that's what I find to be worth my money: inspiration and ideas for me to riff off of in my own games. Without some well written fluff to accompany a monster, I see little incentive to pay money for it. The first 4e MM in that regard was the exact opposite of what I would look for - it barely even had descriptions of the monsters in question.

Im looking for a nice mix of the two. Your right about MM1: it was extremely sparse on fluff, one might even say barren. MM2 was a step in the right direction (it did have a little more), but didnt go far enough imo. A good description of the monster, where it typically lives, its temperment, society (or lack thereof) are what im looking for. Doesent have to be 3/4 of a page in length, but I need something to get my imagination rolling.

But I agree with you: if I could get an amount of fluff comparable to 2e, I'd be in heaven. But I dont think thats realistic with WotC goals for 4e (and page count to, tbh).

avin

First Post

Amen.

I die inside a bit everytime I read my "TV Set Manual Style" 4E MM and MM2...

Remove ads