• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monster Grappling Question

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Hey Guys, I have a quick question that came up in my game this past weekend.

The question first arose concerning Crocodiles, then with the Otyugh. Specifically, these monsters have attacks that, if hit, state that the target is grappled with and Escape DC of 12 (if my memory serves correctly).

My question is, does this mean the target is auto-grappled without any opposed roll? Or, is it designed in such a way that if the attack hits the target can not resist until their turn?

Gwarok

Explorer
My question is, does this mean the target is auto-grappled without any opposed roll? Or, is it designed in such a way that if the attack hits the target can not resist until their turn?

Yes, that is what it means. Makes grappling monsters that much more difficult.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I've been ruling it as "auto-grappled" without any opposed roll the first round. The next round, the victim can try and break free as per the normal rules.

Remember: Monsters/NPC's don't have to play by the same rule requirements as PC's. (hence, my ruling).

Basically, when a monster description says "This attack causes X", then that's the end all and be all of it. If it says "This attack causes X if the target fails a [whatever]", then so be it.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Croesus

Adventurer
Yes, that is what it means. Makes grappling monsters that much more difficult.

Also, check the monster attack carefully. Most monsters with "auto grapple" also restrain the target, but not all. The difference between grappled and restrained is huge.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Also, check the monster attack carefully. Most monsters with "auto grapple" also restrain the target, but not all. The difference between grappled and restrained is huge.

Yes it is! =)

Thanks guys. It seems a little unfair to auto-grapple, but them's the rules huh? =/

Remove ads