• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster manual 1 and 2 errata

Layander

First Post
I want to be able to use monster manual one but we all know the math is off in the book but I noticed they didn't update the math at all in the errata, is there a basic rule for update that I don't know? Like add +2 attack and damage to all t1 minions or something? Thank you in advance for the help.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I want to be able to use monster manual one but we all know the math is off in the book but I noticed they didn't update the math at all in the errata, is there a basic rule for update that I don't know? Like add +2 attack and damage to all t1 minions or something? Thank you in advance for the help.

Here is what I do:

Drop all monster defenses by 1 (by 2 for solos and soldiers)
Drop solo HP from 0-20% (some solos are grindier than others)
Add +5 to damage per attack per tier for every monster. (e.g. Paragon tier monsters get +10 damage to every attack).

Done.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Depending on how good my PCs are at optimizing (usually very good), I often only apply the damage bonus to monsters to make them more dangerous (and more in line with the damage expressions as of MM3 and later) because the PCs usually have no trouble hitting.

I don't usually need to apply an attack bonus. There isn't much errata that has boosted PC defenses.

Also, if your PCs are good at stunlocking solo monsters with multiple conditions that really just prevent it from doing anything other than getting pounded on, once or twice per encounter I will allow it to end all conditions at the beginning of its turn even if the condition is one that normally doesn't end with a save.

I try not to do that too often, though, because I want the PCs to feel like their powers are effective.

CM

Adventurer
If you want the specific changes, the monster math update actually appears in the errata document for the 4e DMG1, because that book has the monster creation guidelines.

Wizards has been slowly going through the old monsters and uploading themed articles with revamped versions to Dragon Magazine and to the DDI Compendium. Often these include more than just math changes--stunning and dazing powers are reduced or eliminated and other powers are modified to better fit MM3-era design guidelines.

I know in another thread you mentioned deciding against resubbing to DDI, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

Truename

First Post
Here is what I do:

Drop all monster defenses by 1 (by 2 for solos and soldiers)
Drop solo HP from 0-20% (some solos are grindier than others)
Add +5 to damage per attack per tier for every monster. (e.g. Paragon tier monsters get +10 damage to every attack).

Done.

This is good advice. A more fine-grained approach is to add half-monster-level damage rather than +5 per tier.

Obryn

Hero
Back-of-envelope calculations...

(1) Brutes get +2 to attack, Soldiers get -2. In general, all things being equal, Level +5 vs. AC, Level +3 vs FRW is where you want it; that's an easy enough calculation to do at the table.

(2) Add 1/2 the monster's level to their damage. If they're brutes, add a few extra.

(3) Just don't use MM1 solos at all. Seriously, just don't. Be cautious about MM2 solos.

(4) If they're an Elite without an every-round multiattack, let them make 2 basic attacks per round.

-O

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I know in another thread you mentioned deciding against resubbing to DDI, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

The Monster Update articles are actually free to download, so you can get them even if you're not a DDI subscriber. (I've been downloading them regularly since they started, and I'm not a subscriber. I am considering it, though. :) )

Jack99

Adventurer
I dont get the +5 damage per tier fix. I mean, the new math is level +8 for average damage, +25 for brutes or non-at-will powers, -25% for area powers. That's fairly simple to do, no?

Zaran

Adventurer
I dont get the +5 damage per tier fix. I mean, the new math is level +8 for average damage, +25 for brutes or non-at-will powers, -25% for area powers. That's fairly simple to do, no?

Think you mean +25% damage for brutes and not +25 .

What's funny is that I still see some monsters in later products that don't follow these rules. If they do dazes , they still do less damage than others. I've found several monsters in Gardmore Abbey that weren't changed at all .

Remove ads