• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual 2 and Elite/Solo design

cdrcjsn

First Post
We're a little passed the design stage. We're in beta testing!

This makes me think that 4.5E is much more likely to happen now however.

If DDI succeeds...then I don't think we'll ever see another edition, just print runs of updated rules with errata changes.

Last thing I'll say about this....in 3e if I was making a dragon I would spend 30 min to an hour picking feats and spells and magic items and special effects...so if it takes me 5 min to knock 20% of the HP off a red dragon, take off -2 to defenses, and then give them some extra damage...I can deal with that:)

But it would be nice if this was announced in a manner other than buried in a preview {articles which I rarely read}....

This also makes it harder to have computer generated monsters. Sure, the basics are simple, but tacking on a variety of extra damage/powers/turns...
Speaking of, I wonder if the WoTC online monster generator has been updated?
...and it looks like I have an excell spreadsheet critter generator to update now :)

PS. Thanks Elric for catching this and letting me/us know!

Last edited:

helium3

First Post
I'll have to take a look at my copy of the MM2 when I get home.

It's interesting though. When we first started playing, solo's were scary and often quite grindy. Now, they play out as rather whimpy if they aren't a few levels above the party or teamed up with a couple of other monsters.

Could be the selection of monster, that the party is just getting really good at what they do or both. More damage and hit points are fine in my book when coupled with lower defenses.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
"Last thing I'll say about this....in 3e if I was making a dragon I would spend 30 min to an hour picking feats and spells and magic items and special effects...so if it takes me 5 min to knock 20% of the HP off a red dragon, take off -2 to defenses, and then give them some extra damage...I can deal with that:)"

I agree. I would really love to have a basic rule that let me do it all in my head. I will soon get really good at cutting 20% in my head. (I actually cut 25%).

Dreadite

First Post
I really like the new solo design, I ran a Young Adamantine Dragon against my group (who had recently faced down a Young Black Dragon a level ago) and the experience was very positive. Admittedly Black Dragons are grindy, but the group enjoyed the faster paced fight a lot more.

It's prompted me to go back through the MM1 and try to adjust the solos to be a bit more like that.

FadedC

First Post
Minions and swarms seem to have gone through a redesign too. Swarms got nerfed and now just have a small passive damage aura, and minion damage seems to scale much more quickly as it gains levels, and they are more likely to have other abilities besides damage, such as auras, nasty status effects on a hit, and nasty on death effects. There are several monsters that spawn minions as well, with the minions being considered part of the xp for that monster.

Runestar

First Post
How would a 50% increase in damage affect abilities that don't really rely on hp?

For example, Orcus's touch of death ability simply reduces the player to 0 hp. How might this be affected? An increase in recharge rate? Or no benefit at all? This is a key signature ability which the DM will likely want to use as often as possible since it is the most effective attack in his arsenal.

Remove ads