D&D Monster Manual (2025)

D&D (2024) D&D Monster Manual (2025)

I’m seeing some discussion pop up again about spell-like abilities and their lack of interaction with Counterspell. I do agree that the abilities that work like spells, cast by an actual spellcaster, could have a spell level next to its name, like Flee! Mortals! does. I also think removing Counterspell from the next PHB would be great. I don’t want a reaction that cancels my monster turns.
Honestly, in my group, it's rare that anyone takes counterspell.

After all, it wasn't really a thing until 3e, and even then you counterspelled by casting the same spell the opponent was casting. Having played through so many editions where it really wasn't a possibility, it still surprises me a bit that people get so put out about it not being available.

(Granted, back in ye olden times, you - and your enemies - had the possibility of interrupting a spell while it was being cast simply because spells for the most part took several segments of initiative to be completed).

Stalker0

Legend
For a Vecna type I am fine with having a core “combat block” and then just have a page where it lists out all the spells he uses out of combat. Keep them seperate for clean combat running but at least have them for the dm thst wants to prep a lair with magic.

Reynard

Legend
For a Vecna type I am fine with having a core “combat block” and then just have a page where it lists out all the spells he uses out of combat. Keep them seperate for clean combat running but at least have them for the dm thst wants to prep a lair with magic.
In the past I have used statements like "the spells and magical abilities in the stat block represent the standard combat repertoire for this caster. They are a master of magic and otherwise have access to whatever spells or rituals the GM deems appropriate."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And to think that John only got as far as writing the Player's Guide, Gamemaster's Guide, Villain's Kit, two Nation books and a single Secret Society book before he vacated the 7th Sea 1e project too... ;)
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I liked the 1st edition of 7th Sea. But his game design since then has left me cold.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I liked the 1st edition of 7th Sea. But his game design since then has left me cold.
Oh believe me, I loved it too! My point was only to highlight that Wick's time of producing a really great product was even shorter and longer ago than we might have thought (as the rest of 7th Sea 1e past those few books weren't even his.)

Not really a meaningful add-on of mine to your point (so my apologies if I muddled it), but only that I find it funny that we all still think of the game as "his", even though 90% of the product in the line wasn't, LOL.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Oh believe me, I loved it too! My point was only to highlight that Wick's time of producing a really great product was even shorter and longer ago than we might have thought (as the rest of 7th Sea 1e past those few books weren't even his.)

Not really a meaningful add-on of mine to your point (so my apologies if I muddled it), but only that I find it funny that we all still think of the game as "his", even though 90% of the product in the line wasn't, LOL.
Fair enough, but the lead designer of a game from the beginning is always going to be a major influence on it, IMO.

Remove ads