• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual 3 art gallery

Pants

First Post
Foundry of Decay said:
..I have the willpower of a dirty potato.
More willpower than I have ;)

I must admit, I quite like the art, especially the following:
Conflagration Ooze (Sam Wood)
Dust Wight (Mark Tedin)
Eldritch Giant (Lucio Parrillo)
Death Giant (WAR)
Hellbringer (Sam Wood)
Omnimental (Francis Tsai)
Vasuthaunt (Sam Wood)
Visilight (Lucio Parrillo)
Nycaloth (James Zhang) (Yeah, so it has four-arms, big deal)
Mezzoloth (James Zhang)
Canoloth (James Zhang)
Ultroloth (James Zhang) (I don't know who this James Zhang guy is, but he rocks!)

Pretty impressive overall. If I were only a little shallower, I might buy it in terms of its art alone. :p

I've never understood the "Do we need any more giants/humanoids/whatever?" arguments. Nobody expects all these creatures to exist in one world, but I love having the options to go through and decide "What exists in this particular setting?" Or even better, "What nasty surprise that my players have never heard of can I spring on them here?"

It's not like prestige classes or feats. One could at least make an argument that too many of those grant certain players a sense of entitlement. (I don't buy that argument under most circumstances, but I can at least see it.) But too many monsters? Something that's entirely, 100% in the DM's hands? Nope. Can never have too many; ain't no such animal.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Frankly, I like the kenku/tengu divison. Although, yes, they have the same mythological roots, the two have gone off in different directions in D&D. I don't hear complaints about the split between the gorgon and the catoblepas. And I like the kenku art too- it reminds me of the demon on the cover art for The Stand.

This looks, art wise, to be one of the better MMs. Better than MMII at any rate. And I like a lot of the concepts I'm getting from the illustrations. Like redcaps. I like redcaps.

Demiurge out.

robaustin

First Post
What is the official release date? Amazon does not have it yet, and I can't find an official release date on the WIzards site either...

--*Rob

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like it. The warforged pics are really good, and I like that one called Thorn so much that I put it on my desktop and have been staring at it for hours upon end.

Remove ads