• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual 3 Available at Gencon [merged]

Knight Otu

First Post
Psion said:
Did they FIX the ultroloth?
If by fix you mean "Keep the stats the same except a bump in Constitution", then, yes. :heh: It's earlier in this thread.

I think there are some unanswered questions floating around in the thread. Anyone with the book who can answer them?

jester47

First Post
Eh, looks like I am passing on MM3. However, even with its errors, I plan on picking up Creature Collection Revised. I can't for the life of me justify the Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary when its not 3.5. I hate converting and conversion notes. At least right now.

Time to start a new thread...

Aaron.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Anyone else who has the book notice the editing errors? I normally don't complain about them, but this time they bothered me because they seem to involve continuity issues with their own cosmology.

The big bull-dog/elephant thing (can't remember the name right now) is used as a mount by Demons, and its stats list its terrain as the plane of Pandemonium, yet the first sentence in its description states they dwell on the plane of Acheron.

Another one is with the Necronaut. Created by Demons from bone covered layers of the Abyss, listed as Chaotic evil, yet they speak Infernal? Shouldn't that be Abyssal?

It may seem petty, but it just sort of stuck out to me.

Knight Otu

First Post
Here are the unanswered questions I could find:
WingOver said:
If you have time, can you list which are templates? Or how many templates are in the book?
Knight Otu said:
- Are the "Monster XYZ in Eberron" and the "Monster XYZ in Faerûn" notes about equal in number, or is one clearly more abundant?
- Trolls - Are there also Giants among them (as there should be), or only Monstrous Humanoids (as the War Troll)?
- The (Living) Subtype - is it used beyond the Warforged? Possibly even fully explained?
pierworker said:
So how does the flind look in 3.5?
NiTessine said:
It [Lumi] also means 'snow' in Finnish. This also has (hopefully) nothing to do with the monster. Or does it?
Gez said:
I'm curious concerning the difference between the Desert Giant from MM3 and the Sand Giant from MM2. (If someone can elaborate a bit on the Death and Eldritch giants too, that would be nice.)
Kobold Avenger said:
How many monsters have something to do with the Far Realms/Xoriat?

How many other monsters other than the Ssvaklor have something to do with the Yuan-Ti?

How much better is a Flind than a Gnoll?
Knight Otu said:
Are there Deathless in the MM3?
Gez said:
Another question: since there are warforged, is the (Living) subtype described? Can anyone with the book post it?

qstor

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Honestly, how many old monsters are left to convert?

Between Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Fiend Folio, Tome of Horrors, other D&D books and the Scott Greene's Creature Catalog, pretty much all of the 1E monsters have now been converted.

I'm not really up to date on the plethora of 2E monsters, but surely many of those have also been converted as well?

Can you start listing some monsters that you'd like to see conversions of?

Cheers!

A lot of the ones in the Monster Manual and Monster Manual II, and Fiend Folio DON'T have official conversions. But we have the Tome of Horrors and Scott and Erica to thank for those. Like I mentioned in my other post..Verbeeg, brownie etc etc..

As far as new vs old monsters...I'm firmly on the side of old ones. I'd rather see 50/50 in a 3.x WOTC monsters book rather than the 95 new/5 old in the Monster Manual III.

One time I asked Richard Baker why they haven't converted the lock lurker for FR...He said it was cause he thought it was stupid. I guess someone at WOTC doesn't like the old 1e/2e monsters and won't convert them. I mean come on Ed Greenwood made the lock lurker and its in Haunted Halls of Eveningstar 2e how more "core" FR can you get for the mosnter.

Mike

qstor

Adventurer
Pants said:
I believe all of the devils and guardinals have been converted. There is one demon (the buleazu), one eladrin (???), one archon (the Tomes), and three yugoloths missing (the dergholoth, hydroloth, gacholoth (?), and baernoloth).

The Molydeus is still missing. I always thought that was cool looking :)

Mike

Last edited:

War Golem

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I picked this book up at GenCon and after having skimmed through it once, I think it is great. There are definitely a few really lame monsters and illos in the book, but overall, most of the monsters seem like good, solid concepts and the pictures are well done. The art overall is a clear step up from a lot of recent WotC releases (thankfully!!! - I'm an art nut).

At this point, I would easily rate this book superior to MM2, and probably better than Fiend Folio as well. Very happy with this purchase.

I'll try and answer some of these pending questions for you all now...

Cheers,
War Golem

War Golem

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingOver
If you have time, can you list which are templates? Or how many templates are in the book?
4 templates: Living Spell (variable), Spellwarped (+0, +1, or +2), Voidmind (+1), Woodling (+2)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads