• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual 3

Falstaff

First Post
I'm thinking of picking up MM3. But, can anyone tell me about the errata? Does MM3 require modifying the monster stat blocks so that they match the current rules?

Not that I'm aware of. It just boosts the damage expressions to make fights more challenging for the listed exp values. So you can errrata the older monsters or use them as you were.

Otterscrubber

First Post
It's the best 4e monster book yet.

My DM could not agree more, he has decided he will never use another monster that is not in MM3 after picking it up. The fights have certainly all gotten a lot more interesting for our lvl 13 group. Fortunately we are fairly well balanced and can survive, but the first round or two of most fights are often an interesting discovery period where we find out if we will get shredded by tons of attacks from monsters who can attack as a minor action or get worn down by ongoing damage that has two damage types, all but ensuring we cannot protect ourselves from it. Our DM is fond of saying it's like Christmas every time he opens it up :)

I have to say though, we are using a lot of powers that we had previously relegated as useless, as the monsters in MM3 really do need to be controlled. I think they did a brilliant job of putting some fear into PC groups who previously had rolled right over even level encounters.

Riastlin

First Post
The main difference in terms of compatibility is that MM3 monsters generally deal more damage. The stat blocks are set up a little differently too in that they separate the monster's abilities by action type -- which is actually a big help "Oh looky, he can also do 'THIS' as a minor action!"

fba827

Adventurer
I'm thinking of picking up MM3. But, can anyone tell me about the errata? Does MM3 require modifying the monster stat blocks so that they match the current rules?

MM3 follows the current errata/rules and format.

In fact, as can be seen in this thread and others, people try/want to bring MM1 and MM2 monsters to be on par and up to date like MM3 is.

Having said that, MM1 and MM2 have some of the more iconic monsters. But you could always take another monster and reskin it as needed.

caudor

Adventurer
MM3 follows the current errata/rules and format.

In fact, as can be seen in this thread and others, people try/want to bring MM1 and MM2 monsters to be on par and up to date like MM3 is.

Having said that, MM1 and MM2 have some of the more iconic monsters. But you could always take another monster and reskin it as needed.

True. I decided to hold off on updating MM1/MM2 monsters to the current standard because hundreds of monsters have been impacted...too much work for me. I'd rather be playing.

Also, I expect that WotC will be releasing errata for older monsters once the Essentials Monster Vault hits the stores. At least they should. Short of that, they should at least update the Compendium.

That said, I'm not sure what is going to happen :uhoh:

nnms

First Post
I'm another DM who won't use pre-MM3 monsters. Not only is the damage expression fixed so you can use lower level monsters in an encounter, thus have lower monster defenses and reduce grind, but the monsters are designed to be more interesting. Especially the elite and solo monsters as well as minions. Add in the new stat block that makes it super easy to run and it easily outpaces the other monster manuals.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads