• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual II and III: Both worth getting?

Endur

First Post
For Monster books, I strongly recommend the "themed" monster books. i.e. The Draconomicon, Lords of Darkness, etc. I'm not a fan of MM2, MM3, Fiend Folio, etc.

I'm more of a flavor guy than a rules guy.

Gansk

Explorer
I've only focused on the low CR monsters from all the books (I've compiled over 400 monsters between CR 1/8 and CR 3 to conduct my battle), but I would have to rank MMIII first, then FF, then MMII last.

I think the turn offs for me about the MMII are the artwork and the fact that it is 3.0. The 3.5 conversion document also has its share of errors, so you still have to pay attention before introducing MMII monsters in your 3.5 campaign.

However, I will never forgive WotC for putting out a book that is so poorly edited as the MMIII. So far the errors have had little impact since the errata document does a fair job of covering them, but there is no excuse to having an errata document in the first place.

As far as the actual monsters, I gain more inspiration from the MMIII monsters when I read them than the MMII monsters. I happen to like Eberron although I have never played in an Eberron campaign, and the MMIII monsters would do a lot to enhance that setting.

I was heavily into AD&D and dropped out for most of 2e and Planescape, so I am not picking up on any nostalgia factor with the MMII, at least for the low CR monsters. Tome of Horrors does a much better job if you are looking for classic monsters to add to the MM, except it is 3.0.

Shade said:
What would imply that I have a chip on my shoulder?

The fact that everytime someone defends/praises the MMIII, you jump right back in with a rebuttal slamming it. Just like with your last post. How many rebuttals do you have in this thread? If that's not an axe to grind, I dunno what is.

Case closed.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ogrork the Mighty said:
The fact that everytime someone defends/praises the MMIII, you jump right back in with a rebuttal slamming it. Just like with your last post. How many rebuttals do you have in this thread? If that's not an axe to grind, I dunno what is.

Case closed.

Forgive me. I thought we were entitled to have a discussion. People feel passionately about different things...I do so about monsters. I'll continue to express my opinions, as will others. You are entitled to disagree with me, as I am with you. However, I'm not going to simply post once and leave. I don't have an axe to grind...I don't even hate the book. But I do enjoy debating its merits and those of the other monster books.

My last "rebuttal" was only because you implied that I had a "chip on my shoulder" and that my opinions were not valid.

Last edited:

iksander

First Post
All right this book is neither MM2 or MM3, (if given my druthers id snag MM3) but a book ya might want to take a look at is the Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin. Its a book of monster templates, ya can take all your MM1 monster and make them new again.

Ninja-to

First Post
Dragonblade said:
Right on Ninja-to!! I used to live in Tokyo and played D&D. Alas, finding other games was extremely difficult sometimes. The best gamers I ever played with were Japanese gamers willing to let me play with them despite their broken English. My Japanese was pretty good at the time so we communicated just fine. Those guys were a lot of fun.

Anyway, if you are looking for a good gaming shop in Tokyo, check out Yellow Submarine in Shinjuku. Just a short walk from Shinjuku station's Minami-guchi. Last time I was there about three years ago, they carried all the WotC stuff and a fair amount of other d20 stuff. Be prepared to pay about 1.5 to 2 times US cover price in Yen equivalent. English language RP games are an imported niche item that appeal to a small segment of an already small market.

Anyway, as to your question, I personally did not like the MM2 as much as MM3. IMO, MM2 had more exotic monsters that were less likely to see use in my game whereas MM3 had a lot more monsters that I felt would be easier to drop into my campaign. Take that as you will.

Good luck finding a group. My wife is Japanese and wants to return to Japan someday so I'll be looking for another group in Japan in a few more years myself.

Wow that's amazing huh. Small world. I know about Yellow Submarine... it's where I get all my minis and paints. I go to the Shinjuku one and the ones in Akihabara and Ikebukuro. I don't buy books from them because they're insanely expensive. I get all my books from Amazon Japan.

If you come back to Japan and I'm still here, send me an email: ninja.to@gmail.com

Ninja-to

First Post
John Morrow said:
Hmmm. I had little trouble finding English-speaking gamers in 1999. Not only is there JIGG (which I recommend as an contact souce) but I also managed to find a group at Sophia University via RPGnet. I also know of role-players around Nagoya. Did you ever find JIGG? And it helps to keep an eye out on the Internet for people who say that they are in Japan.

When I was living in Tokyo in 1999, I also found a decent selection of American RPGs at (I think) Shosen Bookmart in/near Jimbocho and a small selection of American RPGs at a hobby store in one of the Parco buildings (Parco 3?) in Shibuya. Not sure if they are still there, though.

Thanks for the info. I recently signed up with JIGG and got a response already. Can't make it to their group, but I'm sure someone will show up soon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads