• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual IV Maps

mikeschley

First Post
Hey All,
It's been a while since I've posted any new maps so I figured I'd upload a few I did for D&D's Monster Manual IV. I've read some reviews and am aware that a few folks don't think maps belong in monster manuals. What can I say? I just make the art. :eek:

Let me know what you think. Also, I'd be happy to answer any questions on process.
Within reason that is. I can't give up all my secrets you know. ;)

Mike

P.S. All images © Wizards of the Coast 2006

Attachments

• BalhannothCave.jpg
    BalhannothCave.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 785
  • BlackspawnCamp.jpg
    BlackspawnCamp.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 838
  • GrandTomb.jpg
    GrandTomb.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 13,335
  • UndergroundLair.jpg
    UndergroundLair.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 7,488
  • WhitespawnLair.jpg
    WhitespawnLair.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,323
  • WildernessLair.jpg
    WildernessLair.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 1,516
Last edited:

Oscaron

First Post
mikeschley said:
Within reason that is. I can't give up all my secrets you know. ;)

That's ok! We love your work and know you're busy.

So just feel free to slap up the PSD files and we'll muddle along by ourselves ;)

Osc

meleeguy

First Post
Those are very very inspiring. If it contains such maps, I may just get MM IV.

My question is, how long does it take you, roughly, to make one of these?

mikeschley

First Post
how long does it take you, roughly, to make one of these?
It depends on the size and level of detail. On average I'd say about 5 or 6 hours at the shortest and 2 or three days at the longest. Poster maps usually take quite a bit longer though. Sometimes up to a week.

As for my psd docs, I think ENWorld might balk at me uploading 50 mb documents. :D
(And those are the small ones) Poster maps can easily run over 2 gigs, forcing me to save them as psb files.

mikeschley

First Post
Hussar said:
Do you do these maps entirely in Photoshop or by hand first?

I love the borders.

They are 100% Photoshop. I use a Wacom Intuos 3 drawing tablet on an IMac platform and am currently running CS2 9.02.

As for the borders, I typically design the background paper/borders and compass roses around the individual project or book. I try to give each set a different flavor while keeping the overall tone of my D&D maps consistant. The Monster Manual IV borders are actually made from reworked portions of the dragon scales used in the cover art.

terrainmonkey

First Post
mike--

great maps, haven't seen your stuff in some time. about the maps in the MM IV, i think it's actually a good idea. it kind of helps those DMs that need encounter sites for different monsters, dungeons, etc. this helps with prep time, as they don't have to spend hours and hours on designing the maps if they are short on time, also for impromptu adventures and one shots.
good work. i wish i were that good. i'm going to have to start raising the bar with mine.

another question, how do you get involved in designing maps for the major companies? it would be fun to do it, and that is one of my aspirations. any advice would be great. thanks

Fargoth

First Post
Absolutely stunning Mike. Man ... every time I see your work I want to dust off my tablet and give 'er a go. I just haven't had the time to devote to it to learn its nuances!

Great work again Mike!

Regards,
Paul

Oscaron

First Post
mikeschley said:
As for my psd docs, I think ENWorld might balk at me uploading 50 mb documents. :D
(And those are the small ones) Poster maps can easily run over 2 gigs, forcing me to save them as psb files.

Heh...yeah...I can imagine that would be a problem :lol:

For those who are enworld-search-impaired, do you have a website of your work?

I think I've seen you post on the CC or Dundj forums, but IIRC, those are search-neutered too.

Love to see if you have any tutorials posted....and if not, I think you could make a lot of people happy with some basic tuts on your page.

Would even be able to make some extra with some advanced training, a la CartoonSmart.com, if that's an interest and if time permits. I know I'd be interested.

Just stream of thought....

Ugh...off to get coffee.....

Osc

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads