• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster NADs

sfedi

First Post
Monsters have 2 less in their FRW defenses.

But in the creation rules, they suggest to add on top of that the difference between their stat and the average:

DMG, page 184:
For every 2 points the ability score varies from the aver-
age, adjust the defense by +1 (if higher) or –1 (if lower).

I personally take that "the average" is the average of the monster's abilities, not 10.

But some monsters seem to take 10 as the average and others the monster's abilities average.

Is that so?

1of3

Explorer
The monsters in the manuals do not always fit the guide lines. That's why they are more guide lines than rules.

You are correct though: The rule is about the average ability score for the monster's level.

keterys

First Post
Make your defenses what you want them to be. The whole base them off the secondary abilities just leads to poor design - stuff like the Tarrasque.

The Coffee Cat

First Post
The average ability score is a target number (doesn't have to be the calculated average of the scores) defined on the same page in the DMG, thus:

Average highest score of a pair: 13 + 1/2 monster level (rounded down)
Primary attack ability: 16 + 1/2 monster level (rounded down)

The number in the table (12 + level) for NADs corresponds to an ability pair where the highest one matches the average (13 + 1/2 level). For every 2 points above (or below) average the highest ability score goes, increase (or decrease) the corresponding NAD by 1.

Let's take an example - a level 4 brute with:
Average highest score = 13 + 2 = 15
Primary attack score = 16 + 2 = 18

Let's say this one has 15 Wis and equal/lower Cha. It's Will defense will then be 16, since 15 is the average score target number.

Maybe this is a slow and dumb brute. Let's say this one has 13 Dex and equal/lower Int. It's Reflex defense will then be 15, since 13 is the average score target number - 2.

It's Strength is its primary score. Let's say this one has 18 Str and equal/lower Con. It's Fortitude defense will then be 17, since 18 is the average score target number + 3 (we round down as usual).

Of course, these are just guidelines. Use them when they help you and ignore them when they hinder you in making interesting monsters. :)

Last edited:

Dragonbait

Explorer
Has to be said:

Monster nads. Hee hee hee!

I looked at the title and wondered how there could be so many posts about the reproductive organs of male monsters.. Then I remembered the loooong threads on dragonborn breasts... Then I learned that NAD = Non Armor Defense.

It all makes sense now.

renau1g

First Post
From a wonderful little movie called Monster Squad (oh how I miss the 80's)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu6L9pG_E6o]YouTube - Wolfman's Got Nards[/ame]

Remove ads