Monster Revisions

Hiya mate! :)

dante58701 said:
Yes I do. It was a real pain buying two of them from e-bay.

Did you want me to convert the material in the book?

Not sure that would be necessary. I think the book has very few epic monsters outside of the unique entities. Those entities are already fairly well constructed (for the D&Dg format that is). I think the only ones I would change are the 'big three' of Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath and Yog-Sothoth. In Lovecraft's writing I think they are meant to represent Life (Shub-Niggurath), Time (Yog-Sothoth) and Death (Azathoth). Though I am not necessarily comfortable with that. To me they seem more akin to Life, Time and Death tainted by Chaos. So they might be avatars of Limbus, or powerful chaos entities.

Also I have been thinking in future that there would be a greater connection between the Slaad (Brood) and the Far Realm and thusly, Lovecraft's Deep Ones.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I'm not so sure slaad should be conjoined with deep ones. They were VERY different creatures.

That would be akin to Mythos heresy. It's actually been stated that Deep Ones are actually Locathah. Though I'm not sure where I remember that from. I'm thinking it was a much older edition of Dragon Magazine.

Deep One = Fish People

Slaad = Frog People

I think ur confusing Chaos and Madness again.

Deep One = Madness (they were insane)

Slaad = Chaos (not insane...just extremely discordian)

Mindless order can also be madness...as evidenced by many many other mythos creatures.

Of course the laws they might follow might not be those of our universe.

Mythos was all about madness, not necessarily chaos. Although many of them were also chaotic, not all of them were.

I can definitely see slaad having their own place in the mythology, though not as servitors of far realm.

Azathoth...was kinda in his own league as a Fertility, Madness deity from what I read. They already have a god of death.

Last edited:

dante58701 said:
I'm not so sure slaad should be conjoined with deep ones. They were VERY different creatures.

Now when you say VERY different, do you mean so similar that the two could be juxtaposed and the untrained eye would never know the difference?

That would be akin to Mythos heresy. It's actually been stated that Deep Ones are actually Locathah. Though I'm not sure where I remember that from. I'm thinking it was a much older edition of Dragon Magazine.

Well I am not saying they would necessarily be one and the same, just saying that the Slaad would have definite Far Realm links.

Deep One = Fish People

Slaad = Frog People

They look similar though.

I think ur confusing Chaos and Madness again.

Deep One = Madness (they were insane)

Slaad = Chaos (not insane...just extremely discordian)

So when the most powerful Slaad is called Ssendam, what is her name spelt backwards? :p

Mindless order can also be madness...as evidenced by many many other mythos creatures.

Of course the laws they might follow might not be those of our universe.

Mythos was all about madness, not necessarily chaos. Although many of them were also chaotic, not all of them were.

I can definitely see slaad having their own place in the mythology, though not as servitors of far realm.

The visible effects are often similar (between Madness and Chaos).

Azathoth...was kinda in his own league as a Fertility, Madness deity from what I read. They already have a god of death.

Surely Shub-Niggurath was the Fertility 'goddess'?

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Shub was neither god nor goddess, yet something loathsomely both, yet neither, and altogether horrific.

Slaad look nothing like deep ones. If you go by the original art.

Though I would agree that CERTAIN slaad might have far realm connections. This would definitely not be true of all of them.

Comparing Slaad to deep ones is like calling Orcus a Minotaur or Eladrin Elves.

One is an alien...one is an outsider with a divine template.

Also...Deep Ones are NOT chaotic. They have a definitive agenda and I would actually label them as being Lawful Evil or Lawful Neutral. Either way, Slaad and Deep ones don't fit together.

Remove ads