D&D (2024) Monster Slayer ranger

Horwath

Legend
I showed it in the post above. Reasing helps. Of course you can afford 14 dex. And no, you don't have to increase str ASAP.

Not everyone plays overly optimized. 5e is forgiving enough to have fun with various builds. Actually it is more fun that way.
Optimizing for a few points of damage is self inflicted pain.
So instead of thinking up a mechanic to make str rangers as effective as dex rangers, your answer is; you do not need to be as efficient?

What if people want to have an efficient character?

Just play dex ranger as it was intended?

No. I say
So instead of thinking up a mechanic to make str rangers as effective as dex rangers, your answer is; you do not need to be as efficient?

No. You misunderstood me: the STR ranger is fine and has other advantages. It is just that people undervalue str by far.*

I don't go tell people to play something different that they want. That you have problems with the game in general and want a different game seems abundantly clear. So homebrew as much as you want. But you (as in everyone else) can play the game as is effectively.

*to be fair, after adding swim and climb speed to the ranger, low str is way less punished. But in melee, having str for some saving throws and active grabbing still helps.

Last edited:

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness

Considering @HorrorRogue was looking for advice on how to create a Monster Slayer Ranger now, proposing an idea for a potential change to the Ranger that you dreamed up is not very helpful to their build options.

Remove ads