• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Vault impressions

I'm very impressed with the Monster Vault. The tokens are very well done (and I used them last night), though I wish there were more 'Minion' tokens.

The upgrades to the monsters are great...especially the solos. I think they've finally figured them out.

The Hydras are _nasty_ (and thematic!). The Umber Hulk has a vicious ability if it has you grabbed. Standard action, no hit roll, 40 pts damage. Ow.

The Dragons are _GREAT_. I can't wait to sick some of these on my players. :)

I just picked up my copy today. The pages are smaller, but that's not really a problem.

I don't know if any monster categories got dropped, but some monster types were and some were added. (In some cases, many.)

Edit: Homunculi weren't included (they were in MM1), and there's at least some MM2 monsters in there (deathpledged gnolls). YMMV.

The average monster level is lower. (For instance, the lowest-level ogre is level 6, rather than level 8.) IMO this is a plus. In some cases (eg beholders) this is a big plus. You can have a "full" beholder (rather than a gauth) as a level 9 solo. On occasion, there's a problem: the highest-level dragon is 22nd-level, and doesn't have the ability to strip away fire resistance with its breath weapon. (You could use the MM1 elder red dragon with a few minor changes, I suppose.)

Elites tend to make more sense, especially templated ones. The death knights are actually scary; they're elites, and the blackguard at least gets two attacks (as befits an elite). A lot of "templated" monsters are not elites; for instance, the various vampire types. On the other hand, some cool monster types are missing. The death knight "blackguard" is a skirmisher, not an anti-paladin, and doesn't have the ability to give undead extra fire damage :(

The tokens are very cool, and I have only one complaint. Often monster categories have only one token type to share amongst them. An example would be efreets: the fireblade (level 22 soldier), cinderlord (level 23 artillery) and flamestrider (level 23 skirmisher) all have the same tokens. So if you wanted to set up a typical 23rd-level encounter of 1 fireblade, 3 flamestriders and 1 cinderlord... good luck distinguishing them. Lower-level monsters like duergar, hobgoblins and gnolls run into the same problem.

Last edited:

Good point on the token types.

Hydras are VICIOUS!

First, they get the usual # of attacks equal to their heads. When you chop off a head, if they don't do some sort of attack of a certain type by the end of the next turn, it grows two back.

Then, they get free actions when they're stunned.

What can they do with their free actions?

If someone ends their turn within 2 squares, they get a free action to bite...TWICE.

Ow.

Klaus

First Post
If you want each monster type to have its own token, and multiple tokens for minions and such, Fiery Dragon puts out the Counter Collection series, so far covering every single creature in the MM1, 2 and non-epic 3 (epic 3 forthcoming). Every counter has a bloodied side, also.

Fiery Dragon » RPG Products

Klaus

First Post
They really have moved in on your action.
I think they can coexist and complement each other nicely. If you was different images for different types of goblins, for instance, FDP has them. And when putting the pages together, FDP makes a point of having more copies of minion counters than those of solo monsters.

Remove ads