• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsternomicon

jaldaen

First Post
So... for those who have read through the Monsternomicon... What are your favorite creatures? Have you used any as of yet? Are you going to be waiting for the character primer in Nov before starting up a campaign (as I am doing)?

Joseph Miller

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
jaldaen said:
So... for those who have read through the Monsternomicon... What are your favorite creatures? Have you used any as of yet? Are you going to be waiting for the character primer in Nov before starting up a campaign (as I am doing)?

I like the Cephalyx, the Iron Lich, the Cask Imp... I could go on and on. I have used the Iron Maiden (as spokesperson/helper for a Beholder) but it didn't end in a fight. I have plans for a couple of other creatures in there, but not immediately.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Iron Lich tops my list, Skorne, Orgun, Husk, Burrow-Mawg, and DeathJack! :)

Using the Burrow-Mawg and working on using the Iron Lich and Orgun in my games!

Last edited:

johnnype

First Post
So how Steampunky are the monsters? I ask because I love all things steampunk, well, almost all things steampunk. I don't really care for wild west - Deadlands type steampunk.

Can anyone get a sense of how steampunky the setting itself is. Do you think we will have a prestige class, or core class for that matter, that specializes in steampunk technology?

Just curious.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
johnnype said:
So how Steampunky are the monsters? I ask because I love all things steampunk, well, almost all things steampunk. I don't really care for wild west - Deadlands type steampunk.

Can anyone get a sense of how steampunky the setting itself is. Do you think we will have a prestige class, or core class for that matter, that specializes in steampunk technology?

Just curious.

For the most part the only monsters that are steampunkish are that that have a relationship with man, Liches, constructions, tralls. From what I have seen the more industry a country is the more common the steam power is going to be but you will have places were everything is still wild. I am thinking very early industral period.

As for prestige classes, yes. I think they give a hint in the Gobbers write up...One of the gobbers pictured is listed as 'gobber mechanik'.

uv23

First Post
One interesting thing that I noted in the description of one of the beasties (can't remember) which was the mention of steam trains. I didn't know if they'd go that far with IK tech but I guess they have.

HermioneO

First Post
Love the Lore

Gotta agree on those lore entries -- I pointed them out to everyone in my group as the best feature so far. We all love the overall look of the book. Haven't read it through yet, but it is at the top of my list of next things to actually read (as opposed to skimming for stuff).

It's been a long time coming (I've had mine ordered since March?), but well worth the wait.

Becky

jaldaen

First Post
uv23 said:
One interesting thing that I noted in the description of one of the beasties (can't remember) which was the mention of steam trains. I didn't know if they'd go that far with IK tech but I guess they have.

On the IK mailing list PP has mentioned that there are a few rail lines... hop on over and sign up for the list... the archive is chalk full of goodies... PP replies to most every question asked there (within reason)...

Joseph Miller

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
I wish I could incorporate MORE from Iron Kingdoms but all of my players are nacy-panced "purists" and they cannot stand technology in their DnD game. I can get away with calling Steamjacks golems, but I think I would have a coup on my hand sif I tried to get a train. What is worse is that I have always wanted trains in my game.

your_mother

Explorer
jaldaen said:
So... for those who have read through the Monsternomicon... 1. What are your favorite creatures? 2. Have you used any as of yet? 3. Are you going to be waiting for the character primer in Nov before starting up a campaign (as I am doing)?

1. I'm at work; the Nyss (elves) were the most memorable.

2. None yet; haven't gamed since I got the book, but will be using the Nyss for sure.

3. Nope; I won't be running an IK game. I'll just be using what I can from their book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads