• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters Challange Ratings for a single PC?

Mjollnir

First Post
I'm prearing an adventure in which I'm planning to separate my players and prepare a situation where they will have to fight alone single beasts, but I don't know how to give xp to that player. For example a Hill Giant is supposed to have a Ch. Rt. of 7 (but that is thought to be divided into a party of 4 adventurers, if only one player faces the giant, which would be the Ch. Rt. instead? x4 (=28)?! Sounds a lot! Maybe x2(=14)? What about if I have only two players on the scene?
Well, I'm guessing right now that the Ch. Rt. remains the same and the xp is divided into less players? Can someone confirm it, please?

StealthyMark

First Post
CR, XP, EL and one Character

The CR (Challenge Rating) of the monster is still the same. The XP for defeating the monster are still based on the CR and still split among the characters. In this case: One character gets all XP.

The EL (Encounter Level) of an encounter with a single creature is equal to the CR of the creature. See the DMG for details.

To create a normal (challenging) encounter for one character, you should use encounters with an EL four lower than you would use for a party of four characters.

shilsen

Adventurer
You're guessing correct. For XP purposes, the only thing you change is the number you divide by (i.e. the number of PCs present).

Using your example, let's say you have four 7th lvl PCs vs. a single CR7 monster, like a hill giant. You would check Table 2-6 (DMG pg.38) and see that 7th lvl characters get a total of 2,100 XP for defeating the giant. Each PC gets the total XP divided by the number of PCs present, or in this case: 2100/4 = 525 XP.

Now if you had two PCs, the total is the same but they get 2100/2 = 1050 XP each. And a single PC would get all 2100 XP.

Remove ads