• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters have Second Wind?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Monsters and NPCs: As a general rule, monsters and nonplayer characters have a number of healing surges based on their tier: one healing surge at the heroic tier (1st–10th levels), two healing surges at the paragon tier (11th–20th levels), and three healing surges at the epic tier (21st–30th levels).

So does this mean monsters have Second Wind as well?

Boarstorm

First Post
Some of 'em do (saw it in a statblock or two, though I can't remember where, exactly). But mostly it's for those monsters who can activate healing surges on their allies or who carry around healing potions and such.

Palladion

Adventurer
Monsters cannot activate their healing surge (MM 7) unless otherwise stipulated in their stat block. (An example of this, see death knight [MM 50].)

NPCs can use their healing surge with a second wind (DMG 187).

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Monster Rule Number 1 - not in the statblock, not an ability.

Which means that healing surges will almost never come up for monster in combat.

That said, I don't see why you couldn't just toss Second Wind on every monster in an encounter. Pretty easy rule to remember. Depending on the number of monsters in the encounter and how many could use Second Wind, I'd probably up the Encounter Level by 1 or 2.

Saitou

First Post
This is also a good way to bump a monster on the threat scale; just let him use a second wind.

For maximum effect, use it with solo baddies.

Obryn

Hero
frankthedm said:
notably, there was a stipulation in a core book that NPCs can't willingly activate thier own healing surge IiUC.
NPCs can use second wind, just like PCs.

They just get way fewer. 1 per tier.

-O

Kordeth

First Post
Obryn said:
NPCs can use second wind, just like PCs.

They just get way fewer. 1 per tier.

-O

Second wind is not the same thing as a healing surge. Second wind is an action that can be taken once per encounter, healing surges are the resources many healing powers and abilities let you use.

Remove ads