D&D 5E Monsters struggling to hit players? Common?

Argyle King

Legend
My experience at running 5e is admittedly low.

However, I've been a player in several campaigns. I've started to notice that monsters appear to struggle to land attacks on players, in some instances needing to roll extremely high to even touch a PC. In some cases, if a paladin, eldritch knight, or similar such characters are in a group, it appears that CR-appropriate creatures are often just praying for a critical so as to be able to do anything.

I'm unsure if this is a common occurrence or some weird oddity of the character building choices common among those with whom I game. As I, at some point, will likely be running future campaigns, I'm trying to be cognizant of issues which may occur.

I realize that, as DM, I'm not necessarily trying to kill a PC, but I feel as though some fights become anti-climactic (and start to really drag at higher levels) when monsters appear to be somewhat impotent.

I'd appreciate input concerning whether or not this is a "problem" others have encountered.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
As DM, I'm not only bad at having monsters hit the PCs, but terrible at initiative, too. My players love it.

aco175

Legend
Numbers affect how often monsters hit. 5 goblins are not much of a threat for 5th level PCs, but make that number 15 and that is a tough fight.

Also, if the monsters can gain advantage on attacks it helps. Flanking optional rules are not for everyone so you can look at other methods. They can be blessed like the PCs for the additional 1d4 to attacks. You can also look at playing without feats, but that is not for everyone either.

S'mon

Legend
It seems to be pretty easy to get an AC up around 24-25 or so, which is tough on all the +4 & +5 to-hit monsters. I don't find that +11 fire giants have much trouble hitting PCs though! Once monsters get up around +10 to hit and above it takes a lot of min-maxing to create a PC only hit on a '20'.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It seems to be pretty easy to get an AC up around 24-25 or so, which is tough on all the +4 & +5 to-hit monsters. I don't find that +11 fire giants have much trouble hitting PCs though! Once monsters get up around +10 to hit and above it takes a lot of min-maxing to create a PC only hit on a '20'.

My PCs are currently level 4 with ACs ranging from 14 (the sorcerer) to 20 (the BM fighter with plate and shield).

I haven't found to much problem in monsters hitting them.

Early on I would use more monsters that had stuff like pack tactics (Kobalds +4 to hit with advantage - challenged even the fighter).

As they go up in levels and monsters start getting +5 or more to hit - it's becoming even less of a concern.

Admittedly, my group isn't a very min-max bunch so maybe I'm just lucky. But I suspect if they were - I wouldn't have to try too hard to challenge them.

Argyle King

Legend
Numbers affect how often monsters hit. 5 goblins are not much of a threat for 5th level PCs, but make that number 15 and that is a tough fight.

Also, if the monsters can gain advantage on attacks it helps. Flanking optional rules are not for everyone so you can look at other methods. They can be blessed like the PCs for the additional 1d4 to attacks. You can also look at playing without feats, but that is not for everyone either.

I suspect that playing without feats would feel somewhat shallow to the group, but that's something to keep in mind. (Though, I question if they really matter with how few most classes receive.)

The current group is using flanking rules. That does help somewhat, but it also makes the PCs a lot stronger. It's hard (for me) to tell at this point if it helps overall or not.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The current group is using flanking rules. That does help somewhat, but it also makes the PCs a lot stronger. It's hard (for me) to tell at this point if it helps overall or not.

FWIW, we started with flanking rules but quickly dropped them. It was just too easy to get advantage (which is already not that hard).

Argyle King

Legend
My PCs are currently level 4 with ACs ranging from 14 (the sorcerer) to 20 (the BM fighter with plate and shield).

I haven't found to much problem in monsters hitting them.

Early on I would use more monsters that had stuff like pack tactics (Kobalds +4 to hit with advantage - challenged even the fighter).

As they go up in levels and monsters start getting +5 or more to hit - it's becoming even less of a concern.

Admittedly, my group isn't a very min-max bunch so maybe I'm just lucky. But I suspect if they were - I wouldn't have to try too hard to challenge them.

S'mon's post touches upon what I've noticed.

The current campaign is level 6.

One or two of the characters can pretty easily have AC in the 20+ range, with capabilities to drive it higher when need be.

What I've noticed is that, when we do face an enemy who can hit them, the same enemy is quite deadly to the members of the party who do not have similar defenses -especially when multiattack comes into play.

For what it's worth, the party currently contains two paladins played by two players who are pretty good about spreading their abilities out to the rest of the party and working together.

UnknownDyson

Explorer
I've been playing in a campaign for almost three years now as an Eldritch Knight. I am level 14, about to be 15. I wear platemail (18 armor class). I know haste, shield and have the warcaster feat. On reaction shield bumps my armor class up to 23, if haste is active it gives me another +2, making my armor class 25.

Impressive right? It doesn't really matter though, what I've quickly found out about the upper limits of tier 3 play is that armor class ceases to matter because the enemies of equivalent CR have high modifiers and hit really hard. Just last session I got two shot by a nabassu demon (CR 15) who did over 120 damage in two attacks on a crit. Nothing I could do.

I don't know what tactics are being used in that game, but if you're feeling sorry for the monsters, don't. They will catch up, and they will have their revenge.

Last edited:

Remove ads