• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters that are traps? (any d20 supplement)

Qwillion

First Post
I was wanting to make a list of all the monsters that are basicly living traps (like the Trapper) or are closely linked to traps. (like the Trap Haunt from the Dragon Compendium).

I am at work so I will slowly look though my stuff and get this going.

Contrarian

First Post
Piercers are way cooler than trappers. (They're a Tome of Horrors monster in 3E.)

Other than that, I'm a little vague on your criteria. Would the Wolf-in-Sheeps-Clothing count? It lures you in with the cute, fluffy bunny, the tries to bite your ankles off. I love that in a monster.

the Jester

Legend
Mimics!

Cloakers can pull the same trick- "Ooh, look, a cloak in a closet- AAGH!!"

Rot grubs are in Dungeonscape; but iirc the individual ones are treated as "hazards".

Stone, clay and iron golems, if they first appear to be inanimate statues. Same with gargoyles. Animated objects can fill this same role, too.

Bloodworms (maybe in ToH? Not sure; an old 1e FF monster) masquerade as logs in the water, then attack once you're on top of them.

Lurkers above are on the WotC website somewhere, iirc.

Gas spores- in Lords of Madness- are another classic trap monsters.

the Jester

Legend
Ooh, I almost forgot ear seekers! :D

Gelatinous cubes, with their whole "transparent" thing going on.

I'm sure there are dozens more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads