• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monstrous Large Scorpions exist

Huw

First Post
Aeolius said:
Well, sea spiders aren't really spiders and I wouldn't eat a sea apple, if I were you. ;)

True, but scorpions are sea scorpions in the same way that birds are dinosaurs. If you want to be pedantic, you could insist that scorpions aren't really arachnids.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Yup, pterygotus was quite a nasty bugger.

I statted this little beauty up months ago for an upcoming Blackdirge Publishing product. ;)

The other contender for biggest bug is Arthropleura, a gigantic ancestor of centipedes and millipedes that grew up to 10 feet long.

BD

Maldin

First Post
BLACKDIRGE said:
Yup, pterygotus was quite a nasty bugger.
Yep, this bloke is indeed a type of pterygotid (I've found some myself). As observed already, this critter is not actually a scorpion. "Sea scorpion" is a nickname. No stinger in the tail, for example, but I'm sure those huge claws could do some damage. They are eurypterids, which belong to the larger arthropod group "Chelicerata". Within that large group are the spiders, scorpions, horseshoe crabs, eurypterids, and a whole bunch of other smaller groups. Many of those groups have been statted out for D&D's various editions. The terrestrial ones are particularly useful for underdark campaigns (there were some, I believe, in the original 1E Drow series). This guy would be limited to an aquatic adventure.

It doesn't really matter what they are, though. They're pretty cool.

Denis, aka "Maldin", the Paleontologist
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads